old boat/super nubie

mikeg75

Recruit
hey guys i bought my first boat about three years ago and just getting around to starting this project. i have never owned a boat before and have probably only been on one maybe a dozen times. so what i would like to ask is where do i need to start and what do i need to look for? she is a 1975 15' BLAZER TRIHULL with a 1968 evinrude 55hp.

Attachments

• IMG_20130704_082010_025-1.jpg
    IMG_20130704_082010_025-1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130704_142453.jpg
    IMG_20130704_142453.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130704_082115_275-1.jpg
    IMG_20130704_082115_275-1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20130704_142932.jpg
    IMG_20130704_142932.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: old boat/super nubie

I would start by pulling the carpet up and taking a look at the floor and the structure below it. Check the transom for signs of weakness, rot, etc.

You first want to establish the condition of the hull and supporting structure, then go from there.

What do you know about this boat, in terms of prior ownership, use, condition, etc?

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree look over the floor and the under side if you can get to it hopefully you have had a cover on it all this time although in your pics it looks like its been open to the elements. Then put the engine in the up position and the lock and bounce on the lower leg of the eingine near the prop and see if the transom moves at all like where the engine is bolted to the boat. If all seems ok then you relly need to check the engine and see if it run and how it runs because that can be a deal dreaker if its junk.

eavega

Lieutenant

After you have assessed the structural state of the boat, you will want to verify the state of the engine. I see from the control (and the year of the motor) you have a hydro-electric shift system. Do some searching in the forums about the problems that these systems can have. The short version; Hydro-electric shift systems were offered for only a few years. The shift mechanism parts are hard to come by if they fail, and the lowers are not interchangeable with mechanical shift systems. Verify that your motor is running and shifting correctly before diving into any kind of structural repairs/rebuilds. If your motor is junk then the entire project is really a non-starter.

Rgds

Eric

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

If boat is something you like and want to fix, and you have the time and money. I say go for it. if motor doesn't run you can always find another motor. people swap motors every day. and welcome to iboats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you have Title and Registration Papers? Does the Motor run and was it properly winterized over the "Down Years"? As previously stated, Thoroughly inspect the floor for soft spots, and bonce on the leg of the motor to see if the transom flexes. Hope for the best but expect the worst. Boats like of this vintage, unless meticulously cared for, typically will require a total restoration which will run approx. 200 man hours and $1 -2K dollars. The good news is, once you're finished with her, she'll be better than new, you will know everything there is to know about boats, and you can take pride in knowing you have a boat that will last for decades. You can't buy a boat for $2k anywhere that will be as good as this one once your finished. It will be extremely "Yucky" work. You will want to quit many times. You will wonder why you ever started, but...If you stick it out and finish it, I promise you it WILL be worth all of it!!!!:D

WelcomeAboard.jpg

mikeg75

Recruit

ok was just going over the boat and the transom is gone. when i put the motor up in the lock position and gave it a good shake the whole left side of the transom moved and creeked like an old wood floor so at this point i do not think i am ready to take on this kind of project. i would like to thank everyone for the input. i am going to continue to surf this site so that i can learn as much as possible so that my next purchase will hopefully be a little more sound.