Old Boat Make-Over

SoldierBoater

Recruit
I just bought a 1977 19ft ski boat with a 150hp 1985 Johnson motor... all of the wood in this thing is rotten and I am a first time boater so are there any suggestions you all would have on putting the new wood in or any suggestions on what I should do on the motor... I know reverse is out on this thing and the guy lost the bolts to the carb and the starter is out but looking online doesn't seem that tough to fix... Thanks

By the way cool website been looking it over for about a week now decided to join...:)

nlain

Commander
Re: Old Boat Make-Over

First, Welcome aboard. You have taken on quite a project here, I am thinking with that vintage boat, all the wood rotten, you are going to have to separate the top from the bottom, remove all the wood and replace it. My first suggestion is to post this in the Restoration Thread, take the motor question to the Johnson engine section. You will find all the help you need for both projects you have here. Good luck on this, going to take some time, patience and money. Oh, one other thing, pictures, take some now so the people that can help will be able to see what you have to work with, they can advise you better. Besides we all like to see the before, during and after pictures. :D

Last edited:

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome Aboard. How are things in Fort Riley. I havent been there in years.

SoldierBoater

Recruit

Ft. Riley is growing by the day but still a great place to be for those who only require deer and fish to make us happy... not a single man's paradise... but being married it is enough for me...

Thanks for the advice and I will take pics when the rain stops coming down outside... Seems to me that since most of this boat is fiberglass it isn't gonna be too bad but I am taking the motor to a boat guy soon while I paint and fix the interior... where is the best place to buy that astroturf stuff that is in it?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard SoldierBoater!! I am going to move this thread to our Restoration section. You will find a lot of friends over there who have tackled precisely what you're up against. Big job, but the experience is there Good luck!!!

mikeasb

Cadet

SoldierBoater- PM me with your phone #, I live about 10 miles from Ft. Riley and have rebuilt three boats in the last couple of years. Do alot of boating at Milford and Council Grove. Randy's Marine does really good engine work, he just rebuilt a 150 Evinrude Spitfire for me this winter, new powerhead, I am still in the break-in period with it but it is very strong. Lash everything down for this afternoon we are supposed to get 50mph winds and another line of storms like we had last night.

Mike

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loved fishing there, you are right not a single mans place. But the fishing was great.

SoldierBoater

Recruit

Fishing no matter what... trout, catfish, bass, or anything else native to this place is all great fishing still and if you can't find what you like here there manny surrounding lakes that have it...