OLD BAY Seasoning prices

Link

Rear Admiral
I was first introduced to this a couple months ago here in DC and had never used it before. (Good stuff BTW)<br />These are all for the same 6oz / 170g tin can.<br />And all 10 minutes (or less) from our house.<br /> <br />The first place I found it was Safeway for like $2.40<br /><br />The second place a fresh fruit market for $4.60<br /><br />The third place a Store beside Safeway for $3.25<br /><br />The forth was at the commissary at McChorde Air Force Base for $1.19 :eek: <br /><br />$1.19 to $4.60 is a extreme price range! Must have something to do shipping cost and volume sold.<br /><br />Anyone else see something like this?

crab bait

Captain
Re: OLD BAY Seasoning prices

it's almost worth 'uppin'- up' in the air force.. to get a deal on old bay like that..!! <br /><br />my top food jazzy.. <br /><br />would be REALLY worth 'uppin'-up' if'n could get a deal like that on tobasco.!!<br /><br />use both on everthin' but ice cream & cake.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Funny you posted this Link. Just happened to notice a $2 difference between two markets last week.<br /><br />purchasing?<br />shelf time?<br />hung over stock boy?? :p <br /><br />too many things could trigger the difference..<br /><br />heck, someones gotta make a profit on it... :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Like gas stations used to be. Lonnnnnnnngggg time ago.

mattttt25

Commander

it's one of those products that you just don't buy that often. i have a few cans in the kitchen, but can't remember the last time i bought it (except when we're steaming bussels of crabs). i wouldn't know what the market value of it is unless i compared like you.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Old bay recipes,<br /><br />Just sprinkle old bay on a Oven Stuffer Roaster Chicken, Cook as you normally would and you will have a roast chicken with a crispy skin that will have them coming back for more. <br /><br />I go through a super size container about every 6 months, Can't remember what I paid for it though.

one more cast

Captain

I've seen at at sam's club but didn't check the price.Thats where I buy most of my spices.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Man you can get Old Bay in Lakewood WA. Lucky you. Any time I go to Maine I have to bring a case of it for the family. Every year I ended up taking more then I did the last because someone let a neighbor or friend try it. Good stuff. Try it on Potato salad.

spratt

Lieutenant

Old Bay, huh? Never heard of it before today!! I have lived and died by Johnny's Seasoning, but am certainly game to try Old Bay!! Hey, Link, do ya know if Costco carries it? f-in, if I find it at a good price, I would be willing to ship it for ya!! Lemme know, and I will let YOU know...about price...

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hey Spratt <br /> Check out where I am from. They make old bay up the street. If i ever do move away from here I will be sure to take a 55 gallon drum with me and plan on returning when it was gone.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Old bay is the one spice that belongs on grilled salmon stake!!!

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

A copycat recipe from somewhere in cyberspace.<br /><br />Old Bay® Seasoning<br /><br /> Yield: 1/4 cup<br /> <br /> 1 Tbls. ground bay leaves<br /> 2 1/2 tsp. celery salt<br /> 1 1/2 tsp. ground mustard seed<br /> 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper<br /> 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg<br /> 1/2 tsp. ground cloves<br /> 1/2 tsp. ground ginger<br /> 1/2 tsp. paprika<br /> 1/2 tsp. red pepper<br /> 1/4 tsp. ground mace<br /> 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom<br /><br /> -Combine and store in an air-tight container.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

They make it about 10 miles from my house & when the wind is right in the morning the smell hangs in the air. Always a good way to start the day.<br />It goes good on any seafood & chicken too.<br />Somebody makes a potato chip flavored w/ it. Pretty tasty.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I never used Old Bay seasoning. I strictly use Everglades Seasoning on Fish , pork and poultry.<br />It's simular to OLD BAY, (judging by the recipe Relentless posted)....But not the same.<br />Sister 12Footer calls it "monkey dust", lives in Georgia, and can't buy it there. I allways wrap her up a can or two at Christmas :)