Ok now what?

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
RE:stuck on land.
So, I used the harmonic balancer puller On my 66 fastwin 18 hp.(flywheel) My dilemma is... I striped the threads on the center bolt. mmmmm not good! I'm bringing it back now. So I'm thinking this flywheel has not been off in 42years!what to do..what to do?????????

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Ok now what?

The harmonic balancer is not the ideal tool for outboards.If you take it to the marina and ask them to remove the flywheel they can usually take it off with the OMC special tool.This one is far more balanced and will pull the flywheel straight up where your tool usually is a bit out of balance thereby binding the the flywheel onto the shaft.Once everything is straight, things go easy.
These pullers are about $35 dollars and often available on ebay.They are worth every penny of it.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The harmonic balancer is not the ideal tool for outboards.If you take it to the marina and ask them to remove the flywheel they can usually take it off with the OMC special tool.This one is far more balanced and will pull the flywheel straight up where your tool usually is a bit out of balance thereby binding the the flywheel onto the shaft.Once everything is straight, things go easy.
These pullers are about $35 dollars and often available on ebay.They are worth every penny of it.

I'd love to.. cant pay for that at this time.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no worries, simply dril and tap for the 1/4X20 heli-coil or simply drill and tap it 5/16X24, could use 5/16X18 if you wish.
the harmonic balancer puller will work very well.
I have used it over 30 years and still do.
the key here is a quality bolt,preferably grade 8 and careful set u[p using a hardend washer,or a stack, that wont deflect when pulling.
then use a 6" scale when setting the 3 bolts measuring from the flywheel surface to the puller after you put tension on it remeasure adjust as nessasary.
the key is equal pressure at all 3 points.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

no worries, simply dril and tap for the 1/4X20 heli-coil or simply drill and tap it 5/16X24, could use 5/16X18 if you wish.
the harmonic balancer puller will work very well.
I have used it over 30 years and still do.
the key here is a quality bolt,preferably grade 8 and careful set u[p using a hardend washer,or a stack, that wont deflect when pulling.
then use a 6" scale when setting the 3 bolts measuring from the flywheel surface to the puller after you put tension on it remeasure adjust as nessasary.
the key is equal pressure at all 3 points.

I'm sorry sir. it striped the center bolt on the harmonic balancer.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you need to buy another puller...maybe one that is a better quality? Make sure that the yoke is threaded all the way on the bolt before attempting to increase tension!

MAS

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Harmonic balancer pullers are only 10 to $15, so no big deal. Or, you could drill and tap the existing one to a larger size.