Ok, Maby I can get it right this time.

RiL

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 60 hsp., 1970 Johnson motor. I bought the boat about a month ago but the boat has been sitting for about 3 years as far as I can find out.<br />The gas tank and line were dry but you could smell the old gas so I changed out the fuel pump, line and cleaned out the tank and put fresh fuel and oil in. I also replace the plugs x 3, new battery and cable contacts. I checked all the connections and I have power to the switch and to the starter. I tried to start it (with water going into the motor) Starter would ingage but would just turn a little bit.<br />Took it to a boat shop Sat. morning and had him check it. He called back about 5 and told me that 1. No fire to the plugs, 2. Found a crack in the lower unit, 3. Felt that water pump needed to be changed also. 4. If he could find the lower unit he est. that it would cost about $500 P&L to fix it.<br />Im sorry I dont have the brand of boat with me right now, but it too is a 1970 tri hull that isnt in too bad of shape. I was planning on using this just as a fishing. <br />He said that that type of boat was rough rideing and with with the rebuild he thought I would be better off getting another boat.<br />My question is does this sound too much for the repair and just how bad of a ride can I expect?<br />Thanks and sorry for the long post.<br />Rick

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ok, Maby I can get it right this time.

Hold your horses.<br /><br />The tri-hull is a very good design - for some uses. What kind of waters to do you plan on using it on? As it performs more like a flat bottom than a deep-V, it tends to be pounding on rough sea when planning.<br />On the other hand it is very stable and safe to be in when at low speed or at still.<br /><br />Describe the boat (make & model)and planned use and there will be lots of folks here with advice for you - also regarding motor repair/repower.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I would look around for a comparable rblt.<br />motor. it may cost less depending on your area.<br />in a perfect world you could find the same<br />make/model and have some spare parts for future<br />use. <br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

RiL

Seaman Apprentice

I thought I had put everything I could about it.lol I plan on using it as just a fishing boat. Lake only. We do get some high winds so our lakes can get a little rough.<br />Ok found it. <br />Boat is a 1970 Galaxie 15ft outboard.<br />Rick

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

I do not know the 15 in detail, but it sounds reasonable for the use. Ofcourse you may have to reduce speed in certain weather conditions (as do we all).<br /><br />Regarding the motor i agree with mellowyellow. Check the highest rated hp for your boat and shop around. If you get a good motor you might even keep it should you decide on another boat.<br /><br />There are lots of motors for sale. Compare the offers and stick to the main brands. And remember that the important improvements on fuel consumption etc. aren't found on older models.

JRJ

Commander

Hi Ril first I have no expieriance with tri-hulls so can't help you there. I do have a more than fair amount of expieriance paying for engine repairs. $500 is cheap, if that fixes your lower end and gets your engine running. Good Luck :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I'm back. the problem with forkin' out $500 is<br />that it could just be the beginning! I would be <br />suspect of INVESTING in a motor that has a crack<br />in the lower unit and has no spark... what the <br />H@LL happened to it? <br />of course JRJ could be right if that makes her<br />seaworthy, but it couldn't hurt to have something<br />to compare to no? take your time, do it right!<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.