OK, I am stumped, need some help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Engine - 1989 15hp Evinrude (E15RCEC)
Problem - Complaint of hard starting and have to have choke pulled to keep it running.
Compression good
Spark good
R & R carb, trash in the nozzle well jet, as suspected. Cleaned carb and installed OEM kit, replaced idle tube and all gaskets.
Got engine started and set low speed needle, did link & synk, all linkages adjusted properly. Engine idles and accerlates perfectly. Starts before you even pull the cord 1/2 way out, when you don't let it set for any period of time.

Now the problem, engine REFUSES to start if you let it set overnight.
If you use a little brake clean, I know you shouldn't but it's the only way to get it started, it will fire right off and idle perfectly.
You can shut it down and it will restart with ease if you don't let it set.

I have gone through the factory manual and been to Leroys web site, adjusted everything according to the information given. The plastic top of the carb had a crack in it, replaced it with the new style per Leroys website and adjusted the low speed needle for proper idle. Same outcome, will not start if you let it set overnight.

This engine runs fantastic, when you get it started. Once started, you barely have to rotate the flywheel and it fires right off.

I am open for any suggestions or thoughts that anybody has.
This thing is driving me nuts, it is probably something simple that I am overlooking, but can't see it.
Sorry for the long post, just trying to get everything out there.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: OK, I am stumped, need some help.

Carburetors do not come and go. They're either faulty or they are not. From what you've had to say, the engine runs fine at all rpms once you get it started..... leading me to believe that the carburetor is okay.

However, your explanation of the present problem mirrors a problem in starting an engine with a choke or primer solenoid setup that is flawed, in your case.... possibly something flawed in the choke setup?

AlTn

Commander

Daviet...fwiw....I worked on a '91 9.9 that would lose spark after sitting...the stop switch was bad..may be of benefit to check the spark first thing in the morning after sitting overnight

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Try with a known-good tank and hose.
Had the exact same thing with a 1990 8HP.
Ran beautifully after starting, bear to start cold or after sitting.

Had an extra tank, tried it, and problem solved; still have not gotten to troubleshooting old tank/hose.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since it starts with the addition of starting fluid, then the choke/primer is not working. Are you squeezing the primer bulb in the morning before the cold start?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the replys.
Tank and hose assembly are good, work properly with other engines.
Primer bulb pumps up firm.
Engine has a manual choke and the choke plate is closing all the way.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

...to ad to what was mentioned above, ensure choke plate is fully closing. Premixed fuel in a spray bottle will do the same thing with less ddamage to cylinders.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might try to rotate the idle knob to the right (CCW) for a start cold & see if that helps. Then return it to your idle setting for running.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

try doing a radical decarb. stall the engine with your choice of decarb, then add even more through spark plug holes. If rings are sticking when cooled down, you may have low compression/hard starting.....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(CCW) Counter Clockwise = Left

It's possible that the slow speed adjustable jet is set at a critical point, I've encountered that myself.

As suggested by another member above, momentarily back out that slow speed needle valve a quarter turn or so to see if that cures your cold starting problem.

bannerd

Seaman Apprentice

Do you get spark from the spark plugs? You could have moisture in the power pack or ignition coils or both. Something to check in the early morning when dew is present. You should barely have to start the engine to see a lot of spark. Make sure the spark plugs are gaped properly as well. If you have spark, compression, there is no reason that this should not start. Check the fuel filter screen and make sure that is clean. Also, maybe try using a hair dryer on the power pack and coil packs and then try to start (might have a seal leak). That would be my guess.

If you sti