OK, i ain't so Smart

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, so I ain't so smart. I have been rebuilding my boat for the last 2 years or so, new wiring, new fuel lines. Various pieces and parts.

I have had fuel problems since day one. I have had the engine looked at by two different mechanic's. Clean carbs, new gaskets, new lines under the cowl, new diaphragm in the fuel pump. I had installed a shut off valve and a fuel flow meter with a filter in front of it. I bypassed these and still all I get is idle all day, splutters and stops with rpm's.

Of course, it took someone else to suggest that I just run one solid piece of line from the fuel tank to the motor. Worked great. Just couldn't see the trees for the forest.

After we pulled the fuel line off of the tank, we found a defect in the line. Like a flap internal within the line. Worked fine at idle, shut down the flow at rpm's.

Thanks guys for pointing out the sometimes it isn't near as complicated as we like to make it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: OK, i ain't so Smart

there was a generation of merc outboards that had fuel lines inside the cowl that would get soft, and collapse at higher rpms. nearly impossible to diagnose unless you knew exactly what is was already, you couldn't easily see the line, and certainly not with the cowl off cruising at WOT.

Its always the simple things that become the biggest pains!

j_martin

Admiral

Sometimes the easiest way is to actually use tools, like a fuel pressure gauge.:D

CATransplant

Admiral

Funny story, sort of, but I'm sure it wasn't funny to you. One of the things I always suggest to people who are having fuel problems is to connect a known good portable tank to the outboard and test it that way. If it runs OK, then the first thing I'd do is replace all the line from the tank to the engine. Fuel line can develop problems over time. Besides, it's cheaper than mechanic's hourly rates. Always worth a try.

Triton II

Commander

OK, so I ain't so smart.

I disagree. You're very smart for following up on a good suggestion and fixing what could have been a very difficult to diagnose problem. Well done mate! :cool:

TII

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I disagree. You're very smart for following up on a good suggestion and fixing what could have been a very difficult to diagnose problem. Well done mate! :cool:

TII

Yep, Smart move !!:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First thing I do to any newly adopted old motor is change all those lines unless it was just done.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Michael, i did replace all fuel lines but so how could it be the lines. Unknown to me, the line was defective.

Thanks again guys