OK Here's one for yah, '97 70hp cranks but won't start.

Fishn4Funn

Cadet
So I just bought it, after it sat for over a year, outside. Seafoam used by a local backyad mechanic and all was well, until............

We ran it just fine last weekend from idle to full throttle, without a hitch. 35 mph @ 5000rpm and smooth. That's after we replaced the solenoid with a marine solenoid.

Then after setting for one week, it cranks at full 12.3 volts, and I get good spark to plugs, and the gas filter looks clear (should it look slightly bluish since its a VRO?). Our discussion has covered rebuilding the carbs, but I may not want to tackle this myself.

1997 70 hp Johnson

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: OK Here's one for yah, '97 70hp cranks but won't start.

If you have timed spark and good compression the only thing left is fuel delivery. Try squirting some fuel/oil mixture into the carbs and see if it fires, if so you have a fuel delivery problem.

Fishn4Funn

Cadet

And being a new boat owner, 1st timer that is, I would do so by removing the large plastic housing covering all three carbs and squirt an equal amount into all three as my Son cranks on the starter?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Correct, that is the way to do it.

Fishn4Funn

Cadet

We'll give it a try, and I'll get back to you. Thanks btw.

Fishn4Funn

Cadet

So we removed the cover, squirted fuel mixture into carbs and it fired right up. Then we noticed that the level in the fuel filter under the cowling, was sitting at 1/3 so we pulled off the fuel line at the top, the 'out to carb' side and squeezed the bulb, filling the filter, but we were too slow and it settled again at 1/3 full. Should we be concerned about this?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have some one continuously pump the primer bulb and see if it will start and run, maybe you have a fuel pump going out.

Fishn4Funn

Cadet

Oh ok is there a way to test for this?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Either with a pressure gage teed into the pump outlet or disconnect the pump outlet, make sure the motor can't start (pull the lanyard), and crank the engine. You should get long strong fuel pulses. If not, pump is NG.