Ok fellas need a little advice if you don't mind!

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
Well the journey of the 14ft hull i got for 20 bucks has came to pass. I spent about 1,700 dollars on top quality supplies to make it perfect as i could and is a beautiful classic boat from the 1970's. I've gotton complement after complement and most has been '' they sure don't make em like that no more''. But now i've got a HUGE problem i think. I know my share about building boats but i've never really had this prob. I notcied that my splashwell was having water in it all the time for days at a time after rain or going out in it. I decided finally to put the plug in and see if my fear was true. It was, it took the splashwell to get filled 10 times with water before it stopped. Their was little run out coming from the bottom of the well and i'm glad they are like that cause i would've wanted that water to stay in there. My point is i know the water came from where the rubrail and the deck attach to the hull itself and water seeped thorugh. Does this mean instant ROT cause i used 200 dollars in closed cell poly foam ( which is supposed to be waterproof) to fill the ENITRE hull in with. So will it evetually dry up if i waterproff the whole boat seams now or will it eventually rot one way or another. Sorry for so long i just get into this stuff thanks partnas

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Ok fellas need a little advice if you don't mind!

I think you are okay if you are catching it now. Just remember, it took 30+ years for the old wood to rot, so you'll be okay, just let it drain completely and seal her up.