Oily greasy mess

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
Just got a boat with a 1978 55 HP 2 cyl 'Rude on it. Under the cowling the thing is an oily greasy mess with crud everywhere. I guess that is better than a white corroded mess, but it is a mess nonetheless. <br /><br />My question is what is the best way to clean up the goop. I could spray the entire thing with Gunk and then power spray it off. But I suspect there are parts that should not get wet. <br /><br />Any suggestions on the best way to clean the thing without damaging anything?<br /><br />Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Oily greasy mess

Go for it. I would be careful about using too much pressure in case some of the wires are brittle. BTW, back in my TV repair days, when we would get a really filthy chassis in the shop, we would take it out back and spray it with a hose, then blow dry it.

Trent

Captain

oneoldude...I do it everyday. Just try to keep the electrical stuff dry.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I found a cleaner at the Dollar Store called Mean Green that works real good and is gentle on stuff. Like trent said, careful of the electrical stuff and be sure to cover the carb throat with a baggie. If you do get water under the flywheel, used compressed air to blow dry.