Oil Selection

dartman

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone run the Ficht ram oil or the Mercury Premium Plus in a Johnson 150? Any advantage over the XD25 in terms of longevity, smoke or carbon build up?

ob

Admiral
Re: Oil Selection

dartman,This won't answer your question but a local wrench of 20+ years at the John/Rude dealer says that he runs the Ficht Ram oil in both of his 2 stroke carbed outboards and says that it is superior to the conventional TCW3 that is recommended.Better lubricating qualities and less ash deposit etc..I haven't tried it myself to date and was also wanting to get more feedback from others who may have been using it for extended hours and found these claims to be true.I'll be listening in.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

FICHT Ram oil is semi-synthetic and smokes a lot less in a regular two stroke. It also contains more detergents to clean out piston carbon deposits so your motor runs cleaner "inside". I've used it since it first came out in my Johnson 150 60 degree looper, and it doesn't smoke at all at idle or trolling.

ob

Admiral

That's enlightening info seahorse.How many hours would you estimate you have run the Ram oil through your 150?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I been usin it to ob....like seahorse says, little or no smoke. I use it in my 84' 50hp Johnny and in my 90hp Rude. Great lube.

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dartman, been using it a year in my 40 Johnson at 50 to 1. Clean burning, very little smoke and easier to start because plugs run cleaner. nevjb

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OB,<br />I've used FICHT Ram oil for around 3-400 hours on my own '91 150. <br /><br />What sold me on the FICHT Ram oil was servicing FICHT motors that would have a lot of time on them, such as commercial fisherman, crabbers, and law enforcement rigs. I took the head off a '99 225 FICHT with over 1100 hours on it and no only were the cross hatch patterns bright and visible, but when I wiped my finger over the top of the piston, I could just make out the part number etched on it. That motor started out with its first 500 hours of regular OMC oil, then when Ram oil came out, they switched over.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

How much is the Ficht oil, compared to others? I know if it makes your engine run cleaner and longer, it's worth it, but just wondering what something like a quart of it cost and can you only get it from the dealer? Thanks,

ob

Admiral

Seahorse and others,thanks for the heads up on the Ram oil.As far as I'm concerned,engine hours speak for themseleves.Since I run a 70 hp outboard that rarely uses more that 7-10 gallons of fuel per outing ,cost of the Ram oil is not a concern.I also know that a clean running engine and moving parts is a long running engine and will most likely convert to the Ram oil myself.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

That's a good question Rick, I would also like to know what the cost of the Ficht oil is. I'm guessng it's alot more than regular TC-W3. y twin 200's drink alot of gas and oil and if it is like double the price I'd probably have to pass even though it's better for the motors.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Many places sell bulk Johnson/Evinrude TC-W3 oil for around $12 a gallon, and the FICHT Ram oil for around $14 per gallon. This is a lot better than the retail price on 1 gallon factory containers which are about $18 & $22 respectively.

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dartman, if it's a good motor, use the best oil. The cost difference between cheap oil and great oil is less than the cost of a can of pop per day. nevjb

walleyehed

Admiral

In factory containers, here's what I've found....XD-25 18.25/gal, and Ficht Ram 26.95/gal.........Dealer in Central KS, that is (unfortunately) located AT the lake here, so it's most likely higher than would be expected "in town"...........

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would think any brand of synthetic 2-stroke oil would be good at cutting down on deposits and such. Amsoil comes to mind. What would make the FICHT Ram Oil brand better? No doubt that synthetics will run cleaner and "Slicker". Just curious what advantage Ram Oil has over the others.

walleyehed

Admiral

Been through this already, and this will be MY last statement concerning this.<br />I WILL USE THE FICHT BECAUSE IT HAS THE MANUFACTURERS NAME AND BLESSING!!!!!!<br /> Don't care about the cost...if it says J/E, thats all I need to see....I'll run it in my J/E.<br />They are the ones that require the specific additives that are best, therefore, it would be the BEST for MY engine........end of story

clintg

Recruit

Amsoil is the way to go. In recent testing by an independent testing company,using Amsoil injector oil results in at least a 78.37% reduction in carbon deposits over any other two stroke oil, and Amsoil reduces friction by 42.31%. Amsoil is much better than other oils and is not simply certified to TC-W3; Amsoil exceeds TC-W3!

walleyehed

Admiral

FICHT RAM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TC-W3.....THE STANDARDS ARE MUCH HIGHER....<br />By the way, AMZOIL is NOT TC-W3 Certified.....READ CLOSER.........no more, the end.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

walleyehed <br /><br />You don't have to get bent. I was just asking what makes it better than any other synthetic oil! Just because it has the manufactuers name on it does not nessesarily make it better!! Just trying to get informed opinions, so that I can make a decision on which oil to use.

walleyehed

Admiral

Rick, I've asked myself the SAME questions, and fell back to where I started........stay with what the Manufacturer recommends, or provides.<br />Yes, this subject twists my Azz in two every time it comes up, when someone says "USE AMZOIL-IT'S THE BEST".....Based on what???? It's NOT certified TC-W3, and I feel VERY confident using My manufacturers oil because, simply put, "Who would know better what is required than the people that built the engine"

chuckybaby

Seaman Apprentice

Gotta add my 2 cents re manufacturers brand vs others. My 200 Venom blew up several years ago because a piston ring locating pin got loose and went walkabout in the crankcase.<br /> <br />In discussing this with the manufacturers "out of warranty assistance program" rep, the fact that I used nothing BUT OMC products in this engine was what convinced them to replace the block at minimal cost ($2K CDN for a $13K block)