oil seal removal

sinkhole

Seaman
I am trying to remove gearcase head assembly 0383757 oil seal on a Johnson 1974 25hp motor. I thought seal was similar to other seals and proceeded to remove it by tapping around the back perimeter edge of seal with a drift pin. This method had no effect on seal other than to fold the metal casing down and deform the top face of seal. The casing is a much heavier metal gauge than other oil seals and it seems that casing is an integral part of assembly as it has not budged a fraction after a week of effort. I have looked on the net but can find no info, or examples of any other seal other than the ones listed by various part suppliers seal # #0321787. Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove this seal without damaging the assembly. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A dremel tool can be used here.-----Those often have a big / hefty washer pressed in AFTER the seal.---Washer keeps fishing line away from the seal.------Remove that washer.----Remove the seal.-----Install a new seal.----Make a new washer if you feel it is needed.----That washer is optional.

sinkhole

Seaman
A dremel tool can be used here.-----Those often have a big / hefty washer pressed in AFTER the seal.---Washer keeps fishing line away from the seal.------Remove that washer.----Remove the seal.-----Install a new seal.----Make a new washer if you feel it is needed.----That washer is optional.

sinkhole

Seaman
Thanks for reply, I was wondering what washer was for , It came off easy when I removed assembly. I did use a dremel to try and cut through seal casing without damaging seal depression but seal casing is very heavy duty and was unsuccessful. I was wondering if I should grind off the approx. 3/32 off of
assembly down to top of seal to see If I can remove it. Well after responding to your reply I gave it one more try and I am happy to say it with much prying came flying out. Thanks again.

sinkhole

Seaman