Oil Question

javmike

Cadet
Still new to the boat. I want to change the lower units oil and i cant find anywere that shows what oil im to use? Where can i get the oil? What kind is the best to use? Is there a seal or Oring on the drain and refill plug that i need to get? Thanks Mike
1995 Johnson 150 Fast strike V6

javmike

Cadet
Re: Oil Question

Thanks but it doesnt answer my oil question. What oil is the best to use and where can i get it? Another question is it says to drain the oil and then put the fill tube back in the bottom drain hole? Wont it just come back out as i'm pumping it or am i missing something. Sorry for the stupid question but ive never done it before.

lindy46

Captain

You can get a handy little pump to fill the lower unit. Always fill from the bottom until it overflows the top. Then replace the top plug. That forms a vacuum so you can remove the pump from the bottom without losing much oil. A little oil loss doesn't hurt anything - in fact it's good to have a little headspace for expansion.

javmike

Cadet

I guess no one knows what oil i need or is the best type of oil. I'll have to do this next week when i can find a manual for the boat.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Get GET 80-90 Marine Gear oil for mechanical shift motors ... don't get automotive stuff.