Oil Pump question

bumblebeetn

Cadet
I got my new powerhead mounted. The motor is a 1989 90 hp yam. Everything bolted up fine except the oil pump.When i ordered the powerhead the rep asked me if it has 2 or 3 bolts for the oil pump. I told him 2 . It actually had 2 bolts holding the oil pump on but after taking the pump off the old block it actually has 3 holes but the 3rd hole didnt line up with the pump so i didnt think anything of it. When i got the new powerhead and got it mounted,the bolt patterns for the oil pump dont line up. The new powerhead has 2 bolts for the oil pump on the right side. 1 around 1 oclock and the other around 5 oclock. So ive ordered a new oil pump. (marine dealers around here in nashville dont stock these pumps because they say they hardly fail)Question,the tech told me when i get this new pump i may have to grind the block some to get the pump to fit. Has anyone experienced this before,and how much grinding actually wll i have to do? Thanks <br /> P.S. I was going to disable the oil pump and run premix but the marine dealer talked me out of it saying that hes never seen a yamaha oil pump fail unless due to neglect. I was happy with the pump on the old powerhead but kinda leary about grinding on the block

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil Pump question

You are only grinding on a flange on the block. Depends on what you have to grind with how difficult it is.

bumblebeetn

Cadet

Thanks Ray,The guy at the marine dealer said its not much to grind ,just wondering if this has been done. From what hes telling me they made a few changes on block around this time.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

he is correct on the pump. I have not ground one in years but its a minor fit issue. I seem to remember a tech bulliten about it some place. its a minor clearence issue.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no real timing issue. just make sure the drive tang on the pump fits the slot on the drive shaft.