oil pressure guage

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe someone out there can help...I have a 1997 glastron 185 with a 4.3gl volvo sx outdrive...Does anyone know what the iol pressure gauge should read at idle ( 1000 rpm's ) as well as when out and about having fun....The oil is clean and it dosnt use any....Thanks

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil pressure guage

It is a commonly accepted practice to expect at least 10 psi per thousand rpm's. If your engine is healthy, I would expect it to be indicating at least 20-30 psi at idle when at normal operating temps. 40-50 psi is considered normal at cruising and WOT rpm ranges. If you are worried about the readings you are getting, try using a brand new mechanical gauge plumbed directly into the oil gallery on the block to get a bench reading.

BTW, 1K rpm at idle sounds very high to me, but understand I'm a Merc guy. I would advise you to check the factory idle settings for your powertrain. Mercruiser outdrives usually like engine idle at 700 rpm max.
I have my 5.7 idling down to 600 rpm in the water, and it sure makes shifting easier. But again, that is an Alpha related issue. Penta drives don't suffer from the "grind-clunk" shifting phenomenon.

Last edited:

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I re-checked my boat book....it idles around 800 not 1000.....I think i will take your advice and try using a mechanical gauge.if i remember correctly it reads closer to 70 or so psi at top end....thanks

alldodge

Staff member

I re-checked my boat book....it idles around 800 not 1000.....I think i will take your advice and try using a mechanical gauge.if i remember correctly it reads closer to 70 or so psi at top end....thanks

I don't think you have an issue with 70 at WOT