oil or air passages in block

Cortes165

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
65
I am cleaning and prepping a block from a V4 crossflow.<br />I'm calling the highest cyl, #1 and the lowest #4.<br />There is a small passage in the bottom of cylinder 1. <br />Also there is a small passage with a brass insert in the block where the center crank bearing will be located.<br />What are these 2 passages for????<br />Are they supposed to be linked???<br />Should air pass through these???<br /><br />thanks
 

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
16,978
Re: oil or air passages in block

Thats how the center main gets oil. Behind that brass piece there is a one way valve. If you blow thru there, and you should -- you wont believe how much crud hides in there, blow very gently from the cylinder side to the crank side.
 

Cortes165

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
65
Re: oil or air passages in block

Dhadley, what would we do without you???<br />Thanks for the info. :) <br />I used an aerosol cleaner instead of the air hose.<br />It's not like fluid comes gushing out the crank side, but there is fluid that does come out.<br />After cleaning, I used the old blow and suck trick (that don't sound good) with a small straw to verify the check valve was working.
 
Top