oil or air passages in block

Cortes165

Seaman
I am cleaning and prepping a block from a V4 crossflow.<br />I'm calling the highest cyl, #1 and the lowest #4.<br />There is a small passage in the bottom of cylinder 1. <br />Also there is a small passage with a brass insert in the block where the center crank bearing will be located.<br />What are these 2 passages for????<br />Are they supposed to be linked???<br />Should air pass through these???<br /><br />thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil or air passages in block

Thats how the center main gets oil. Behind that brass piece there is a one way valve. If you blow thru there, and you should -- you wont believe how much crud hides in there, blow very gently from the cylinder side to the crank side.

Cortes165

Seaman
Re: oil or air passages in block

Dhadley, what would we do without you???<br />Thanks for the info. :) <br />I used an aerosol cleaner instead of the air hose.<br />It's not like fluid comes gushing out the crank side, but there is fluid that does come out.<br />After cleaning, I used the old blow and suck trick (that don't sound good) with a small straw to verify the check valve was working.