Oil mixture

Stratus

Recruit
I have a evinrude 90. And my question is. If the mixture of oil and gas is 50-1, would it be alright to use the premixed gas with that ratio

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes and maybe. If you are converting from a VRO system and have taken out the VRO oil feed, then yes -- use a premixed tank with 50:1. Likewise (sort of), if you have a new-to-you boat and not sure about the VRO system, use the premix in a portable tank (risks over oiling, smoke and such) -- but won't destroy the motor.

Stratus

Recruit
Yes and maybe. If you are converting from a VRO system and have taken out the VRO oil feed, then yes -- use a premixed tank with 50:1. Likewise (sort of), if you have a new-to-you boat and not sure about the VRO system, use the premix in a portable tank (risks over oiling, smoke and such) -- but won't destroy the motor.
Yes the previous owner said he removed the" automatic oilers" from the motor. Not for sure what that meant.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Make sure the wire harness for the oil supply system is disconnected, and the hose plugged at the pump. Premix means you manually mix the oil (ratio is 50:1, or about 3 oz. 2-cycle oil per gallon of gas). Use a portable tank when up and running. To test, mix up one or two gallons for testing.

Woody-8598

Recruit
Make sure the wire harness for the oil supply system is disconnected, and the hose plugged at the pump. Premix means you manually mix the oil (ratio is 50:1, or about 3 oz. 2-cycle oil per gallon of gas). Use a portable tank when up and running. To test, mix up one or two gallons for testing.
I am BRAND NEW to boating, so please forgive what may sound like a stupid question, but when you say "mix up one or two gallons for testing," what would one be testing, and how?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You're testing the operation of this new-to-you boat (Post a model number).

Motors are destroyed by overheating so a first step is to replace the water pump -- done every other year or so, depending on use. River running is hard on impellers (sand) -- impeller is neoprene, and wears out.

But lack of 2-cycle oil in the fuel will cause the engine to fail very quickly -- oil is meant to reduce friction, and must be mixed with gas in your 2-cycle engine. Some motor bikes or lawn mowers are two cycle. Cars are four cycle (oil for lubrication, but not included in the fuel). Just different animals.

Last edited:

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And when mixing I like to put in a little gas if the tank is completely empty, then add the oil for the amount of gas you plan to add, then pump the rest of the gas in as quickly as the fuel pump allows, it helps mix them.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Actually, 2.56 oz/gal. -- but 2.5, I guess, if you aren't real fussy. 3 oz if you want to be a little more cautious.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?---US gallons or Imperial gallons.----One is 132 ounces and other is 160 ounces.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've always sort of assumed that most people talk in American gallons, or liters. Very few people nowadays use Canadian aka Imperial gallons. I wish that everyone would go to the metric system, it's so much easier.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
And when mixing I like to put in a little gas if the tank is completely empty, then add the oil for the amount of gas you plan to add, then pump the rest of the gas in as quickly as the fuel pump allows, it helps mix them.
It’s a good point (how to ensure a mix and whether its necessary to take some action — and then whether it’s best to take it shaken or stirred.)

I remember family vacations in Michigan’s upper peninsula (actually, Dad’s annual fishing vacation). When we bought outboard gas at the local station, the woman who ran the place would put in a can of oil, fill with gas, and then shake the tank a little from side to side to mix it up. I’m pretty sure it was 2-cycle oil (probably J&E or maybe Texaco). but this was in the mid-‘50s and might have been 30wt. Since then, I’ve had that mixing habit with my portable tanks.

If you put some oil in the bottom of a glass jar, then some gas, I wonder how long it would take to create an emulsion — may have to try something like that just for grins.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I actually tried it once in a bucket, so I could see the bottom. I put in a couple liter (roughly a half gallon) then added the oil to make 15 liters of premix, and then added the rest of the gas as fast as the pump at the gas station would pump. It actually mixed it up well. In another bucket just poured the oil into a dry bucket, and it seemed to have taken a while to really get the oil off the bottom, and it being fully mixed or not, I wasn't sure. Could have just been my own paranoia, but after that, if the gas can I was using was empty, I put a little gas in the bottom first before adding oil. Not scientific evidence, I'm not a scientist, just a mechanic who probably over thinks maintenance.

backwater52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good marine grade 2 cycle oil, not premix fuel for lawn equip. just in case thats what your talking about.