Oil leaking from top of Evinrude

I have a 1982 Evinrude 115 on an 83' 17 1/2 Glassmaster. Motor runs great and has always been well maintained. The problem is lately I have noticed oil running down the outside of the shaft of the motor. It seems to start from the beginning of the shaft and drips all the way down to the bottom of the shaft/lower unit. Also have steam running out of the upper exhuast ports. Motor is still running good but I have been hesitant to run it for a long period of time until I can figure out what is going on. If I look down the propellor where the exhaust comes out I can see oil build up down there too. Steam coming out smells like burned oil. Could it just be to rich of a fuel mixture? This motor has never been rebuilt to my knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Oil leaking from top of Evinrude

1. Do you mean the outside of the leg?<br /><br />2. If you have never replaced the water pump, you are way overdue. The lower unit must be removed to do so. That may give you some insight as to your first concern.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible that the base gasket is blown out. Between the base of the powerhead and the top of the midsection. It is not only messy, but the exhaust smoke leaks out and recirculates under the cowl and gets back into the carb intakes. If this is the problem, you will have to pull the powerhead.

Yes, I do mean the outside of the leg. Sorry, I am not good with all the correct terminology yet. Im not sure if the waterpump has been replaced or not so I am going to do so before the spring season. If I have to pull the powerhead to replace the base gasket, would it be wise to go ahead and do a complete overhaul? The motor is still running good(compression was checked last July and it was still even on all cylinders) and I am on somewhat of a tight budget, but I do not want to completely ruin my motor either. Thanks for the help

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Do another compression check to be sure the powerhead is ok first. For insurance, you could pull the heads and check the cylinder walls for scuffing. If you think the powerhead is ok, you don't need a rebuild. It is about a 2 hour job to repl the base gasket. You will need something to lift the engine.