Oil leaking from my 1999 Mercury 50 HP two stroke outboard ??

ADedeluk

Cadet
I have a 1999 Mercury 50 HP two stroke outboard motor and when it is not in use it leaks two stroke oil in the cowl pan. It's clean two stroke oil and I've looked real hard it see I can see where it's leaking from but no luck. Has anybody else had this problem ??? THANKS

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil leaking from my 1999 Mercury 50 HP two stroke outboard ??

Does it leak when trimmed up or even when trimmed down? Trimmed up is probably the oil tank, the necks fail semi-commonly, do a search for oil tank and you will see some threads.

ADedeluk

Cadet

Does it leak when trimmed up or even when trimmed down? Trimmed up is probably the oil tank, the necks fail semi-commonly, do a search for oil tank and you will see some threads.

It leaks with the motor trimmed down. I looked very hard and can"t see where its leaking from. Its leaking somewhere down low because there is NO oil up high.

Have a look at the oil pump. Sometimes the elbow that is pressed into the pump leaks. Follow the hose from the bottom of the oil bottle to the pump. It could be a split hose aswell.

gbrake

Recruit

I have a 2003 Mercury 2 Stroke on a Whaler 130. It too leaks oil while running. I can see a slow drip from under the oil pump but I cannot see where it is coming from. The oil pump seems very hard to get to. Can anyone give more insight into getting that elbow underneath pressed back in tight? Thanks for any help.