Oil Leaking from Bottom Unit Joint

Blowboat

Recruit
I am not a mechanic, but need to learn to do as much maintenance/repair on our outboard for our sailboat. We have a Yachtwin (Evinrude) 8 hp...perhaps 1986?

I changed the impeller the other day. Now there seems to be oil leaking from the joint where the bottom unity mates up to the shaft from the engine. There does not seem to be any leaking from the propeller shaft. Seems an odd place to me...but again, I'm no mechanic. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20230510_135242_Gallery.jpg 20230510_172936.jpg

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Agreed with above but if it’s going to bother you do a pressure test for pice of mind.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oil is mixed with the gas.-----Some of this fuel goes right through the motor and does nothing.-----It collects in the exhaust housing and drips out after motor sits for a while.---Some will argue on this advice.---On a 30 year old motor like that it might be a good idea to reseal the gearcase.----Use 2 o-rings on the shift rod.------If you look at the cost of the gears / bearings / shafts , then a seal kit is cheap.-----Easy to install.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
when they say DI engines are more fuel efficient it is becaue they burn all the fuel contained in the cyl. space provided before venting the exhaust out the back

on old 2 strokes the exhaust ports are openned along with the inbound fuel ports allowing exhaust fumes to be pushed out by the incoming crank case pressurized fuel load but.....20-30 % of the the new incoming fuel also goes out with the exhaust :-(

eventually some of the fuel will wash out carbon deposits in the exhaust housing and the liquified junk spews out anywher it can.

just put a doggie pad under the keel when you store the engine or a can with some of your cat's sand box clay. (non-clumping is best) :)