oil leak lower cannot stop

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1959 johnson 35 hp. i am getting a smalloil leak out of the prop shaft i have replaced the seal and o-ring still leaks even before i run the motor. shaft looks ok i sat the seal :confused: all the way down is this right. if itr is what else can i do.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: oil leak lower cannot stop

Strange!<br />Did the new seal fit tightly around the prop-shaft when you put it on? Are you certain that the leak is at the propshaft seal? If not, pressurize the case (empty) to 5psi using a bicycle pump and an artfully carved old tire valve stem while the lower unit is submerged in water and see where the air-bubbles come out. Getting the seal between the spagetti and the seal housing right can be tricky.

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

yes. i can see where it is leaking when i take the prop off

Paul Moir

Admiral

I take it the propshaft isn't badly bent?<br />If the wear groove in the propshaft is too deep, you can have a speedi-sleeve installed at a machine shop. Chicago Rawhide brand speedi-sleeves are made of stainless.<br />I suppose the seal could be defective and have a hole in it or something...

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

I will look at the prop again . i replaced the seal for the exact same problem. i did not see any obvious wear on the shaft.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If it was the wear groove in the propshaft being too deep, it would be pretty obvious. It would need to be pretty deep before that seal would leak just sitting there. <br />Well, I'm stumped. :confused:

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for trying. if i find out i will let you know