Oil leak from the fuel pump?

dsarazen

Cadet
Hi. I've got a remanufactured marine GM 454 in a 1979 Slickcraft cruiser. I'm happy with the motor and all, but the fuel pump appears to be leaking oil. It's on the left front side, looking from the front of the motor. There is a small plug that had a "nut" on it that keeps the fuel plunger in the block. This nut on the plug stuck out and pressed right against the fuel pump. I replaced the plug with an insert type, replaced the gasket on the fuel pump, but the oil still spurts out at high rpms. It only "mists" out now, but still..... My question is do you think that perhaps the fuel pump casing has a small crack that is allowing the oil to spill? I don't see how the plug could be leaking - I put pipe dope on it and screwed it down tight. Any help is appreciated. <br />Still boating in Redondo Beach, California!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil leak from the fuel pump?

hello<br /> sounds like someone stuck in what was handy,<br /> the plug is there to allow for the machining of the drive rod passage nothing more.<br /> if the pump was in a bind it may now be loose on the block or the gasket is now damaged. if you wish to remove and replace the pump then just before reinstalling the pump do it this way<br /> 1 glue the new gasket to the known good clean pump flange.<br /> 2 remove the plug and put a 5/16th dowl against the drive rod and rotate the engine with a wrench to put the rod on a low spot of the cam. ( rod will retract into the block) <br />3 remove the rod and coat with heavy grease like omc triple guard or equivalent. <br />4 reinstall the rod and plug.<br /> now you can install the pump with the rod retracted and life is easy. I can do it somewhat faster but then I may have done 1 or two :) <br /> good luck and keep posting.

dsarazen

Cadet
Re: Oil leak from the fuel pump?

Thanks for the reply. I'll get the fuel pump checked to see if it's cracked.