Oil injection - worth the work?

Boston Habba

Seaman
I'm rebuilding my '87 175hp v6. The oil pump gear is pretty well chewed up. Is it worth replacing or should I pull the pump and go to premix?

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Oil injection - worth the work?

If you have to ask about oil injection...it sounds like you are not confident with it. You have answered your own question. Peace of mind with 50:1<br /><br />TMD

Trent

Captain

One other thing to add. After rebuild run the engine with double the oil for the first few hours. For breakin.

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem with inject. is that PLASTIC ring!<br />Yes they do get chewed up. I'm with TMD 50:1.<br />The guy that rebuilt mine loves oil injection. The oil failure buzzer comes on just in time to tell you you need a rebuild! I made a plate to cover the the pump hole out of 1/8" alum. and put a brass plug in the pressure hose hole. realy cleans up the inside of the motor.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

RON<br />You really need to get the oil pump plug, it has a shaft on it that holds the gear in place, it also covers the injector hole! My understanding is that if the gear is not held in place it can break away and cause big problems inside the motor. The part only cost a few bucks, it's well worth the insurance. Good luck.<br />CU

Boston Habba

Seaman

Where do i get the pump plug?<br /><br />I'm planning on removing the tank on the engine and the remote tank. On the side of the motor there is a black box with wires from the tank level sensor, the pump motion sensor and wire leading into the bundle that seems to go to the controls. Do I remove the entire black box or does my overheat sensor also run thru the box.<br /><br />Engine is an 87 175 V6.<br /><br />Thanks

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your overheat sensor is seperate. It is on the back of the motor under the top spark plug hole on the drivers side, the one on the other side goes to the gage in your dash. You can test it by grounding out the wire with the key on, and the horn should sound. Good luck and let us know.<br />CU

Boston Habba

Seaman

Thanks.<br /><br />I'll pull the box off and tape off the wires leading to the control.