oil in belows

ja2824

Recruit
After removing drive unit to check u joints I found oil in belows and found that the oil level in upper unit was down. I think the oil is leaking around drive shaft and I need to replace the seal in the upper unit. How does the drive shaft come out from upper unit. John

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: oil in belows

Welcome to iboats! You gotta help us out with the specific engine and outdrive. None of us can see it from here :D.

ja2824

Recruit
Re: oil in belows

Welcome to iboats! You gotta help us out with the specific engine and outdrive. None of us can see it from here :D.

Sorry, I was so amazed that I actually got on that I left out all the important information. The boat is a 1998 Sea Arrow
with a Volvo Penta Cobra SX outdrive and 5.7 GL PMDA engine. If I remember right it is a CS SX or SC SX outdrive. I hope that is enough info on the outdrive I seem to have lost my notes and the boat is at the lake. The gimbel bearing seems good the belows and u joints seem good the only issue is the small amount of oil in the bellows and the upper unit was low on oil. Filled the upper unit put the drive back on and have used the boat several times since and the oil level has stayed good so the leak is very slow. I bought the boat new and have done all the maintenance. The question is how to replace the seal on the drive shaft does the shaft just pull out or do you have to access it from the gear box. Thank You, John