Oil Fill - Mercruiser 3.0 TKS

sainoz

Recruit
Hi all, excuse my lack of knowledge on anything semi technical. If i remove the oil fill cap on my Mercruiser 3.0 engine should there by oil sitting in there? The dip stick is showing the correct level of oil however if I look in the oil fill cap section on the top of the engine it looks totally empty. Hoping this is just the filling part that then empties into the engine however though I better check with people that know what they talking about :)

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome, that's a good question.
The oil pan at the bottom of the engine holds the oil.
That's what the dipstick measures.
There is a pump in the oil pan that pumps oil throughout the engine when it's running.
As you thought, the oil fill cap is just for filling.
When you look into it you may see a bit of oil residue but that's it.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, excuse my lack of knowledge on anything semi technical. If i remove the oil fill cap on my Mercruiser 3.0 engine should there by oil sitting in there? The dip stick is showing the correct level of oil however if I look in the oil fill cap section on the top of the engine it looks totally empty. Hoping this is just the filling part that then empties into the engine however though I better check with people that know what they talking about :)
No. You will not see it "full" of oil when looking in through the fill cap. That is normal.

shrew

Lieutenant
Where are the "Full-----Fill" lines on your dip stick? Are they at the top, near the pull ring? Or are they at the bottom? The Full/Fill lines should give yo an indication of where the oil level is located.