Ohio Smokers Beware

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I heard yesterday that the govenor is putting on the ballot to make OHIO a no smoking state. I'm just worried that if it does get voted in, that means our tax base will have to be increased due to people that will leave the state. When they leave, there goes the tax income from their pay as well as the tax from the cigaretts. Even if it becomes law, the revenue from the cigs will decrease and the state will then have to raise taxes else where to make up for the loss.<br /><br />It is just another freedom of choice that is being taken away. What is next? Fishing? Hunting? Recreation Boating? Alcohol Free State?<br /><br />Then another question is How are they going to get the money to fund the enforcement of this proposed issue?<br /><br />I think Taft is just trying to make a name for himself to later run for president. NO WAY he will ever get my vote. Since he became Gov, everyones taxes have increased, and all state fees have increased. Meanwhile he has also cut many hours to those that work for the state. This year there has been less patrols of our lakes and parks.<br /><br />Sad thing is How many states will follow this if it happens....?

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ohio Smokers Beware

SS, typical Taft-ist proposal: "I don't smoke, and I don't want you to have that right, either."<br />Likewise, the Columbus City Council recently passed a law making the city of Columbus a 'smoke-free' environment, meaning that there is no open smoking allowed in bars/restaraunts, etc., including not to within 20' of any public entrance, anywhere in the city. There was a petition signed by 4000+ more than needed to get the law repealed (at least temporarily) and put on the November ballot.<br />I, for one, am getting sick and tired of someone else deciding matters of my own health for me. I smoke, and I know it's not good for me, but let's just see how much we can persecute and dominate. There's a sign in my car that says, "I smoke, and I vote." I also know who on City Council voted for this 'law', and will remember them come election time. 'Nuff said.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, Taft is an idiot - plain and simple. He has done more harm to our State since becoming governor than anyone I can remember. I honestly don't think they could "ban" smoking in the state due to all the revenue it generates. (Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.) And I certainly don't like the idea of taking away a person's right to smoke. (Remember prohibition in the 1920's?)<br /><br />But if I may, let me tell you a story. When I was younger there was a nice lady who's husband had passed away and was an avid fisherman. In their back yard they had about a 2 acre pond stocked with some of the best bass, catfish and bluegill you could hope for. My friends and I frequently visited the pond as she gave permission to almost anyone who asked nicely - and she enjoyed the company. As time wore on, more and more people used the pond, many without asking, and it wasn't long before there was lots of trash, empty worm containers and beer bottles laying around the banks. Soon there was a gate installed at their driveway and she forbid anyone to fish there - and who could blame her? That was almost 20 years ago, and nobody has fished that pond since.<br /><br />Anymore there is a fine line on what rights we all share. I don't smoke, but I have been known to puff a cigar at special occasions. I don't have a problem with people who do smoke - under most situations.<br /><br />HOWEVER, (and I'll probably catch hell from many smokers here)<br /><br />If "some" particular smokers were a little more courteous, there wouldn't be all the turmoil. Believe me there is nothing more irritating as a non-smoker than having a smoker light up right next to me with the smoke wafting in my face when I am eating dinner with my family. Now, if I go to certain places like a bar or something I expect it - as it is a part of the atmosphere. However, (and the restaurant business is probably more guilty than anyone) if I am sitting in the non-smoking section and someone lights up 5 feet from me, MY rights have been infringed upon. I chose not to smoke and asked to be seated in a non-smoking section. I realize that many restaurants definition of smoking/non-smoking is a joke - like there is some invisible force field keeping the smoke away from the non-smokers.<br /><br />I urge all smokers to just take a moment to look around before you light up - especially at restaurants. Consider that there are adults and children nearby who do not smoke and that do not like the odor or adverse affects of tobaccco. If you don't care about their rights today, believe me when I say they won't care about yours if that vote is put on the ballot tomorrow. It only takes a handful to ruin it for everyone. ;)

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

The only issue I have with smokers is when I try to enter a building. There are usually a bunch of people standing out side the door smoking. I have alergy induced aeshtma problems as it is. Some days I just can't breath right. I have the same issue with those who bath in perfume or cologne. I can't stand sitting on the bus and have some one sit next to me who just bathed in that crap, or just came from a bar covered in smoke.<br /><br />I also have a problem with all the breaks they get, but I have found ways to adjust for that. But I have to admit, I have had to control myself some days not to punch some idiot standing right outside a door smoking away.

gonfishn

Commander

It will never pass...There are to many herb smokers in Southern Ohio.. :eek: Next thing they will come up with is a fine for us boaters who can't find a tree and who throw it over the side and pretend.. :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

If this passes, it will be an illegal and against the Bill of Rights!<br /><br />The state cannot write a law against the actions of an individual!<br /><br />The Bill of Rights gaurantees that!

James Bond

Seaman

Originally posted by BuckeyeBoater:<br /> <br />HOWEVER, (and I'll probably catch hell from many smokers here)<br /><br />If "some" particular smokers were a little more courteous, there wouldn't be all the turmoil. Believe me there is nothing more irritating as a non-smoker than having a smoker light up right next to me with the smoke wafting in my face when I am eating dinner with my family. Now, if I go to certain places like a bar or something I expect it - as it is a part of the atmosphere. However, (and the restaurant business is probably more guilty than anyone) if I am sitting in the non-smoking section and someone lights up 5 feet from me, MY rights have been infringed upon. I chose not to smoke and asked to be seated in a non-smoking section. I realize that many restaurants definition of smoking/non-smoking is a joke - like there is some invisible force field keeping the smoke away from the non-smokers.<br /><br />I urge all smokers to just take a moment to look around before you light up - especially at restaurants. Consider that there are adults and children nearby who do not smoke and that do not like the odor or adverse affects of tobaccco. If you don't care about their rights today, believe me when I say they won't care about yours if that vote is put on the ballot tomorrow. It only takes a handful to ruin it for everyone. ;)
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by KKC:<br /> If this passes, it will be an illegal and against the Bill of Rights!<br /><br />The state cannot write a law against the actions of an individual!<br /><br />The Bill of Rights gaurantees that!
What are you smoking?!?!? States write laws every day that restrict the actions of an individual.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Taft raised our taxes without the vote of the people, makes me think he will do what ever he wants. Why he was voted in for the second time is beyond me.<br /><br />I just think that the increase of state revenue would mean they wouldn't have cutbacks.<br /><br />I can see it now, fines for smoking cigaretts will be more than smoking herb... Taft must be smoking something, No that can't be cause if he did, nothing would happen.. :p :D

BrianFD

Buckeye Boater & Samagee, I empathize with what you're saying. I try to be courteous when I puff. I've been known to not light up even when I'm in the smoking section, but are too near the non-smokers. And I try to control where my used butts end up. I absolutely hate to pull up to a stop sign and see an ashtray full of butts emptied out on the ground.<br />But as in all things, there's idiots everywhere who'll do their best to ruin it for the rest of us.<br /><br />
15_4_115.gif

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by BrianFD:<br /> SS, typical Taft-ist proposal: "I don't smoke, and I don't want you to have that right, either."<br />Likewise, the Columbus City Council recently passed a law making the city of Columbus a 'smoke-free' environment, meaning that there is no open smoking allowed in bars/restaraunts, etc., including not to within 20' of any public entrance, anywhere in the city. There was a petition signed by 4000+ more than needed to get the law repealed (at least temporarily) and put on the November ballot.<br />I, for one, am getting sick and tired of someone else deciding matters of my own health for me. I smoke, and I know it's not good for me, but let's just see how much we can persecute and dominate. There's a sign in my car that says, "I smoke, and I vote." I also know who on City Council voted for this 'law', and will remember them come election time. 'Nuff said.
Sorry about being so late but its been a busy weekend.<br />Brian they did that in our county also earlier this year. Finialy had to left it as it was illeagle but it will come back.. trust me<br /><br />Does it not amaze me that your wording is almost if not exactly the same as we had. Same amount of feet from any entrance etc... <br /><br />Oh not put in the main stream news and not ever a word is that all the motels recieved a notice (by letter) that they could no longer have smoking rooms.<br /><br />Cars will be next! :mad:

duffler2000

Cadet

i heard the same thing about the motels. i think that is stupid. i dont smoke but i am around it all the time. it does not bother me. i think it is rediculous though to ban it in bars. About 75% of people who drink regularly, smoke. what a stupid idea. i will be voting no

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by James Bond:<br />
Originally posted by BuckeyeBoater:<br /> <br />HOWEVER, (and I'll probably catch hell from many smokers here)<br /><br />.....I urge all smokers to just take a moment to look around before you light up - especially at restaurants. Consider that there are adults and children nearby who do not smoke and that do not like the odor or adverse affects of tobaccco. If you don't care about their rights today, believe me when I say they won't care about yours if that vote is put on the ballot tomorrow. It only takes a handful to ruin it for everyone. ;)
I'll probably catch a lot of flack from the non-smokers, but here I go anyway....<br /><br />I urge all non-smokers to just take a moment to look around before you enter an establishment,- especially at restaurants. Consider that there are adults who do smoke, and that this is the place that the restaurant has set aside for us to smoke. We asked for a place in the somking section, and are respecting the rules that have been placed before us. If you do not care for the environment that this creates, excercise your right to go to another restaurant, or to tell the manager or owner that the smoke still bothers you. If the establishment is a no smoking establishment, we respect that, and either don't smoke, or go somewhere else.<br /><br />If you don't care about our rights today, believe me when I say someone will come along who doesn't care about your right to do something that they find objectionable.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I'm a smoker. A major point is being missed here in this debate, the medical and legal costs associated with direct and passive smoking related illness & death.<br /><br />Every country in the world, that attempts to provide a decent medical system, is phasing in these type of bans in public places. <br /><br />IMO the public smoking debate is not just about individual rights, it is a major player when it comes to health, taxes & litigation - all of which are a massive financial burden on society as a whole - not just smokers.<br /><br />Aldo

SoulWinner

Commander

Aldo, that's one reason why I am against government provided health care. There are things that a government should provide for the citizen; secure borders (American Failure), national security (conservative success), and the freedom to do what you want (former American success, eroded by liberals). What kind of retard honestly believes that the government, ANY government, can provide better health care than private industry??? Of course no one believes something so ludicrous, but some losers would rather have crappy health care for what they presume to be "free of charge." The government has no more business telling business owners whether or not they can allow smoking in their establishments, than they do providing health care.

Dunaruna

Admiral

SW, I think our health system is similar to yours, we can chose privately run health cover via whatever level of insurance we chose to pay or government run health cover via taxes. In Australia, if we chose private cover we don't pay the tax. Its totally our choice.<br /><br />Take the public system (government run) out of the equation, the individual still foots the bill, the spiralling health costs (smoking related issues are a major factor) are still passed onto us via our insurance premiums. The overall financial burden isn't related to whether its public or private. The cost of living rises and we continue on financial merry-go-round. IMO.<br /><br />Retard (Aldo)

Link

Rear Admiral

SS MAYFLOAT<br />Looks like people seemed to get off subject a bit if I understood your post correctly.<br /><br />This is not a health care subject or for preaching the sins of smoking.<br /><br />jamesb <br />
What are you smoking?!?!? States write laws every day that restrict the actions of an individual.
That is EXACTLY what this is about. <br /><br />How about a person being able to run a business and cater the the people they want?<br /><br />A friend has a cafe/diner, now he knows that there will be a certian amount of people who will look in and see a smoking area and will just go elsewhere. He has one of only three cafes in this area that allows smoking and buisness is good.<br /><br />Has been for the last 12 years. By the end of the second week of the smoking ban business was down 30 percent. Down 55 percent at the end of the month. He had to let 6 of his 12 wait staff go! Plus 2 cooks and one dish washer<br /><br />Thats 9 real people who lost thier jobs because GOVERMENT thought they knew what was best for the people!<br /><br />His is a real small place. But this happened everywhere all over town.<br /><br />Take the rumors we heard that they wanted to make Seat Belts mandatory in Wa state a few years ago. We all shouted whats next? Police can pull you over if they "THINK" you might not be wearing one? and then what after that a ticket!<br /><br />They said NO NO "THAT" would be going way to far! ;) ;) <br /><br />Well they conned enough fools into passing it.<br /><br />A couple years later after they let us the people get used to it, they wanted to help the police to do thier job by letting them pull you over if you weren't wearing the mandatory seat belt!<br />"THINK" Police as they don't have to see you not wearing one just think your not!<br /><br />We screamed and they said NO NO "Tickets" would be going way too far..<br /><br />Another year or two and enough people who don't care about loosing thier rights let them put a 106.00 fine on it.<br /><br />So just to say HA HA we got you! Now we have larger than life signs EVERYWHERE that say<br /><br />CLICK IT or TICKET!<br /><br />SS MAYFLOAT <br />Sorry bout the rant if I was off topic..<br /><br />I feel better now... going to drink a beer then drive around the block without a seat belt on :D

Stumpknocker

Chill out people, nobody is going to lose their hunting fishing boating rights. Just an argument against drugs. Jeeeez. Legal or not, they are drugs. Get over it. It will never pass anyway.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Gil009 you are missing the point. It's another step in taking away the rights of the individual wether it be the person who chooses to smoke or the business owner who chooses to cater to them. I smoke. I choose to not smoke where it's not allowed or I go elsewhere where it is allowed. You as a non-smoker can choose to go where it is prohibited or choose to pass those places by and suffer the "toxic fumes" of another establishment where it isn't banned. It's not about smoking, it's about freedom of choice. It's getting so you can't do anything in this country without the governments permission. I don't think that is what the founding fathers had in mind when they drafted the Constitution. That document, along with the Magna Carta are the two most important documents in the history of mankind IMO. The main purpose of government is for the protection of its people. We have gotten way to far into the "we know what"s best for you" area and that is not a good thing for a free republic.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

This is a rights issue. I don't care if you smoke, drive drunk, carry a firearm, smoke pot, a junk collector, don't wear your seatbelt, etc...<br /><br />I just hate it when neighbors and or others that don't know me make it where I have to live by their standards. Each person that has life is followed by a death. It should be up to that individual to live his life as he chooses. However that is fine as long as it does not interfere with anothers freedom of life.<br /><br />One thing that urkes the living crap out of me is this. Look on how much money is being spent just to enforce people to keep their property cleaned up. DUH, if you don't like the junk on my property, then keep your eyes on the road so you don't kill anybody. <br /><br />My point is this, a person in this great country should live their life as they want to. Compromising is the best way to deal with this problem. Don't just ban something because half the people are against it. If you don't like it, don't participate and don't force your thoughts on others because you think its wrong.<br /><br />I agree smokers should use better judgement. Just like an alcoholic doen't bring his booze into church.<br /><br />As far as some of you not liking smokers standing out in front of an establishment that does not have a smoking area. Then you should complain to the establishment that they should have a place for the smokers to go. If places are forced to have a non-smoking area, then there should be a place for smokers as well.<br /><br />Hospitals around here make you go outside even if you are a patient. Looks great out there when the temps are around "0" seeing people freezing their butts off just to satisfy their addiction. They should be forced to have a place to smoke for those that do.<br /><br />Don't forget that obesity has taken over as the number one health risk. Should we ban resturants to force people to prepare their own food at home? After all it is easy to take care of the hunger just by going through a drive thru.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sorry to add another note, but here it is:<br /><br />A fat smoker that was drunk and got killed in a car accident without his seat belt on. Does his stats on his death go to each catagory of being an alcoholic, obease, and unrestrained occupant?<br /><br />What I have been told is that it does. If you smoke and die from a car accident. Your death can be added to the people who die from smoking list. This isn't right and it gives false stats. So how many of these statistics are accurate?