offshore in a not so big boat

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: offshore in a not so big boat

in the summer months i use to go with my 21ft fisher cabin offshore in the baltic or the north sea. but i must say i never was at open sea that far away that you e.g did not had visual contact to the land. beyond basic equipment like pfd,s and a good radio communication its a good idea to do such things with two boats so one can help the other when something bad starts to happen.

the weather report and the forecast is a must have, further you should know your boat and its capabilities to decide if your boat can safely handle the given conditions or not.

thats my 21ft cabin boat.

warnemünde 067.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not second guessing you, aerobat, but a comment in general: "visual contact with land" can be a false sense of security if that land is not something you could safely rely on in a storm. A flat beach is one thing for an emergency (but your boat is history), but waves crashing against cliffs, reefs and rocks is worse than waves on the open sea.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

thats pretty right home cookin, indeed when the water gets more shallow the water gets more and more choppy with high and short waves.

beyond that, when you have sea conditions that the waves are crashing against cliffs , reefs or whatever you should not try to go out with anything that is build for the private pleasure market.

the "visual" contact to land was just a rough hint how far offshore i go , not that ist more safe.