Official Recall Notification U.S. Federal Boat Safety Act:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
MerCruiser® Fuel Filter Fitment Issue
Bulletin No. 2023-06R1
This bulletin revision adds the fuel filter with an updated brown colored seal. This bulletin is now a recall under the U.S. Federal Boat Safety Act.
Filters affected are part numbers 802893T and 802893Q01
Stop using the water‑separating fuel filters with an O‑ring seal .
I suggest reading the bulletin. I appears to only cover filters that were part of a "kit". But once parts start getting out in the wild, who knows where they will pop up.
Basically if if the cross section of the seal is round = bad / if square = good

flashback

Captain
If it's what I think it is, a spin on with an O ring gasket maybe the engineer needs to go back to school...

muc

oh my, what i will ever do. mask up.
Not really sure what to make of your response.

Just guessing, but maybe you don’t have much experience with boats or what happens to innocent people who happened to be too close to some idiot who doesn’t understand how important fuel leaks are on a boat.

Or maybe you meant something else with your post?

muc

If it's what I think it is, a spin on with an O ring gasket maybe the engineer needs to go back to school...
I’ve seen O ring seals on spin on filters work in other applications, so maybe a manufacturing issue?

flashback

Captain
I’ve seen O ring seals on spin on filters work in other applications, so maybe a manufacturing issue?
Yes that's probably more likely. I've found the square profile has worked for years and wonder why someone would change it..

dubs283

Vice Admiral
maybe a manufacturing issue?

Or

A global company seeking a source for saving pennies?

Speaking of those zinc nuts, member when papa saved couple in the fuse box?

Or

A global company seeking any filter production?

Or

A stinky design? Funny object the o ring, so many sizes of diameter (both ways). Reminds me of thread size/pitch. Sae, metric, pipe, custom, etc....

Or

Well, not or, but I can't recall ever seeing much in the way of spin on filter without a quad ring. Not even a gasket, let alone o ring.

Still got a dozen+ of the mentioned filter sitting on the return rack. The past four months have seen a lotta sierras passing by

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Gasoline is no joke

You ever seen Robocop?

Maximum overdrive? Thats mostly diesel which slow burns like whaley/kerosene

But gas goes quicker especially with oxygen present. Consumes a lot fast, like really fast then slows down, hence ignition timing

I got burned once by this filter because it was drawing air. Haven't seen a fuel leak cuz the bulletin came out in may, sierra ftw

muc

hey @dubs283
Iv'e been retired for a while so don't see this stuff anymore. The S.B. made it sound like these problem filters are just in kits?

tpenfield

Staff member
That part (35-802893XX) is one of the 'can' style spin-on fuel filters (right?) So, it is the o-ring profile (square vs. round) is what is being referred to. (right?)

Thanks for sharing. (y)

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, that 802893T is the spin on for my boat. Never seen one with an "O" ring, always have the square seal on them.

Can't find the recall on the net anywhere.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Don't stock the kits so I can't say for that. The filters I have are the plain old qs ones in the box

Go through a lot of em in the spring and was curious when I noted the o ring instead of a quad ring

Only way I could get the fuel pump to not draw air was by tightening the filter with a strap wrench. Definitely not appropo for a spin on filter. SB came out a few days later hence the uptick in sierra filter sales this season

Stupid boats, stupid crummy parts......qs still on backorder, along with oil filters. Prolly gonna see a lot of blue delcos this fall