Office of President

maninahat

Cadet
Re: Office of President

'Plus the accent thing.'<br /><br />What accent thing? What are you talking about?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FWIW, Benjamin Franklin was born in Boston, Massachusetts. KKC, I think you were thinking of Alexander Hamilton, who was born in the West Indies, and was illegitimate to boot.<br /><br />Jinx

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Come to think about it, currently, I don't think that I can serve as President. I was born in Japan, though to American parents. If I am not mistaken the law says born in the USA.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

eeboater wrote <br /><br />I am not, and will never consider myself an immigrant. When are the people of the United States going to stop referring to themselves as Irish... or German? For crying out loud, we have been a country for over 200 years!!!!! I'm an american... you're an American. Your heritage? American. End of story. <br /><br />I could not agree more. Someone needs to tell the African Americans that. Some of their ancestors were here long before many Europeans.<br />The title game is a ploy from the left to divide.<br />I think the President should be an American born citizen. If the rest of the world does not like it. Tough.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
we ALL are immigrants (or descendants of the same)
I am not, and will never consider myself an immigrant. When are the people of the United States going to stop referring to themselves as Irish... or German? For crying out loud, we have been a country for over 200 years!!!!! I'm an american... you're an American. Your heritage? American. End of story. <br /><br />Sean
Yes, I am an American, as you are...but folks will NEVER stop referring to their heritage, you can bet on that! I am 1/2 Native American Indian...the other parts were all brought over from European places...unfortunately, that is just what I am, and would you take away from people their pride? For that is exactly what is being pronounced when someone says "I am Irish / German / French / Spanish / Whatever" American means you were born as a citizen of the Americas, be it South or North, or Naturalized. Originally, I was born in Georgia, but I have lived in Washington State for almost 19 years...am I a Washingtonian, or a Georgian? So what if I state I was born in Georgia? So what if people state they have roots in Eurpoe? Nah, folks will never stop saying that...even if they are as American as I am...or more so...<br /><br />Sheesh, why did that rub me the wrong way? Didn't mean to make it sound as if I were upset...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I certainly wouldn't change the constitution over Ahnald's rants. Has he been governor long enough for anyone to even know if he's any good?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To my way of thinking, your place of birth should be irrelevant. Take me for example - I was born in Canada, to a New Zealand mother and an English father. I consider myself a New Zealander, because I've lived in NZ pretty much all my life (no disrespect to Canada) and I am registered as a NZ citizen. I was educated here, I pay taxes here, nearly all my memories are here - where else would I call home?<br /><br />I have no plans to become the leader of NZ, but I would outraged if someone told me that I didn't qualify purely because I was born somewhere else...<br /><br />What if George Bush's or Bill Clinton's parents happened to have been living in NZ at the time of their births? Would that particular factor really affect their ability to be president ? :confused: I think not.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

If Bill Clinton or George Bush had been born outside the US they could not have run.<br />I do not necessarily agree about the born on US soil part. I do agree with being born of US parents. I do think that the vast majority of their lives should have been spent on US soil though.<br />Just like Kiwi says he considers himself a NZ'r because that is where his view on life was shaped.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by jinx:<br /> Come to think about it, currently, I don't think that I can serve as President. I was born in Japan, though to American parents. If I am not mistaken the law says born in the USA.
Not a lawyer, but I believe a U.S. military base is "U.S. soil." If one or both of your parents were serving in the U.S. military and stationed in Japan, then you're eligible. If they were there for some other purpose, I'm not sure - you might be okay if both were American citizens. Promise to repeal the ban on 2-stroke engines & you'll get my vote!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Oh, and for what it's worth, I object to the use of the term "Native American" exclusively by Decendents Of The Indigenous North American Peoples. I was born in America, ipso facto I'm a Native American. When they (the Decendents Of The Indigenous North American Peoples) need to distinguish themselves, why not use the term "Decendents Of The Indigenous North American Peoples" or DOTINAP?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

FWIIW, any child, born anywhere in the world, with at least one parent being a US citizen, is him/herself a US citizen.<br /><br />As to non-natural citizens being allowed to be President, there was very good reason for our Founders to exclude them from eligibiliy for the top spot in the nation.<br /><br />Read the history of Europe. A good number of the rulers of Europe had come from somewhere other than the country they were ruling. They always brought their foreign influence and intrigue with them. That is what the Founders were guarding against.<br /><br />IMHO, it is one of those timeless things that there could always be exceptions to, but the ForeDad's were not going to take a chance and neither should we.<br /><br />A current example (toungue in cheek) was the very French looking John Kerry who had spoken to many 'foreign leaders' as to which direction the US should go. How would it have been if he had actually been French.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Read the history of Europe. A good number of the rulers of Europe had come from somewhere other than the country they were ruling. They always brought their foreign influence and intrigue with them. That is what the Founders were guarding against
But isn't that the fault of the voters who voted them in ?<br />and also the Founders also brought other ideas that where swell at the time to which have been overturned.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

How come you didn't have the option to vote HELL NO.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

<br />But isn't that the fault of the voters who voted them in ?<br />
That's right. If a candidate represents the voters in the way that the voters want to be represented, isn't that what matters ?<br /><br />Besides, who's going to be the one to tell Arnie he can't stand for president ;)

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I voted yes - many of the immigrants I know understand the consitution better then most high schoolers today<br /><br />They also WANT to be here, they understand what is like over THERE, which is why they are HERE and NOT there.<br /><br />Certain conditions would have to be met, but then again if you could get by the Press and the drudge report and still be president then go for it!!<br /><br />only 2nd generation <br /><br />Grandparents were polish and irish coal miners in PA, hazelton

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br />Besides, who's going to be the one to tell Arnie he can't stand for president ;) [/QB]
That one, 62_, will be the US Constitution. It would be difficult to change, anyway . It would take more inertia than the idea can muster.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

NO. Native born, that's it! No changes on that one!

Rainmaker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The risks outweigh the benefits. Sorry Arnie. Nope.

woodrat

Ensign

where's the "hell no!" option?<br /><br />I can hardly even believe that the party of moral values would even CONSIDER trying to amend the constitution to let ONE man run for president. Would they then amend it back again when his term(s) was up? Or would they rather re-amend the part about term limits?<br /><br />hopefully this idea is a non-starter.