Office of President

NYMINUTE

Captain
Should the law be changed to allow immigrants who are now citizens of the US to run for the office of President?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Office of President

Not in My lifetime.............<br /><br />This is the United States............<br /><br />Not the United Nations.....................

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Well look at Ahnold... what's next after gov. of cali...?? What happened to the America I used to know....::sigh::

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Absolutely NOT. <br /><br />To do so would require that the constitituion be ammended.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" <br /><br />Would have to change the constitution of the U S!!!<br />And could you imagine a non English speaking president!!! It was bad enough that the catholics said the entire mass in "latin" 30 years ago!!!<br /><br /> "OOPS!!!" :rolleyes: Sorry I made a mistake, English is no longer the language of the U S, so maybe a foreigner could be president, at least a spanish speaking one!!! ;) :cool:

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey, if Benjamin Franklin could not be the President, because he was born in the West Indies, yet spent most his entire life in the U.S. colony's, then why in hell would we allow any other imigrant to become President?<br /><br />Now, if Arnold Jr. wants to run, thats fine!<br /><br />He's what, 7, 8 years old?<br /><br />But, he was born here!

Bondo

Staff member

if Benjamin Franklin could not be the President, because he was born in the West Indies, yet spent most his entire life in the U.S. colony's, then why in hell would we allow any other imigrant to become President?<br />
I didn't know that........<br /><br /> Very Good Point though...........

KennyKenCan

Commander

Heres another point if we allow immigrants to be President...<br /><br />If Saddam Hussain is aquitted of his crimes in Iraq, and he immigrates to the U.S., then he would be eligible to run for President too!<br /><br />Right?<br /><br />I'm speaking hypothetically of coarse, but it still would be possible!<br /><br />I'm not willing for any remote possibility of that happening here in the U.S.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> Not in My lifetime.............<br /><br />This is the United States............<br /><br />Not the United Nations.....................
What Bondo said..

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, I am not going to vote, because I don't have a YES or NO answer to that...in fact, we ALL are immigrants (or descendants of the same)...but if I had to define my answer simply, I would have to say NO, except adn unless they met specific and certain qualifications, such as time in country, background checks....etc!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They would not let me register to run, so, no they shouldn't.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I like Arnold, and think he might be a good pres, but I definately wouldn't alter the Constitution to accomodate tho...and that's all I have to say on the subject

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ditto to Chief, I like Arnold also, but you can't change a concept, in place for good reason, for one exception. Big mistake. That'd be the Liberal way of doing things. They'll look at one example and start whining that it isn't faaaaaaaaaaair!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by spratt: Well, I am not going to vote, because I don't have a YES or NO answer to that...in fact, we ALL are immigrants (or descendants of the same)...but if I had to define my answer simply, I would have to say NO, except adn unless they met specific and certain qualifications, such as time in country, background checks....etc!<br /><br /><br />I'll go along with spratt, my reason is that there are men and women in our armed forces who are not citizens of the USA who voluntary put themselves in harms way to protect our freedom and the American way of life.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The only way I would let an immigrant to be president is if he/she immigrated before their 5th birthday.<br /><br />One must grow up in the USA to know how to run it. Plus the accent thing.<br /><br />Ken, husband of an immigrant

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've sent emails to my Congressman and Senators imploring that they vote "no" to any constitutional amendments that would allow immigrants the right to hold the office of the President. As of yet, I have received no confirmation that any one of them has seen it.<br />And, yes, I voted "no" in this poll.

LadyFish

Admiral

I personally believe its wrong on several levels, one being the question of dual citizenship and whether or not those people would also be allowed to run. The Constitution adopted a policy 200+ years ago. It may be outdated according to some, but to others, it still has merit.

eeboater

Commander

we ALL are immigrants (or descendants of the same)
I am not, and will never consider myself an immigrant. When are the people of the United States going to stop referring to themselves as Irish... or German? For crying out loud, we have been a country for over 200 years!!!!! I'm an american... you're an American. Your heritage? American. End of story. <br /><br />Sean