OEM Replacement Parts

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
while many outboard motor replacement parts can only be purchased from a manufactures outlet, others may be readily available aftermarket items .... I don't mind paying more for higher quality but I hate to pay more just to get a brand name on the box .... as a specific example: I'm getting ready to purchase an impeller repair kit .... such kits are readily available from our outboard's manufacture (in this case Evinrude) or on the aftermarket (from companies like Sierra or Mallory) .... question: if one pays more for the OEM kit, are they likely to get a better product

Jim

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: OEM Replacement Parts

if one pays more for the OEM kit, are they likely to get a better product?

This question is impossible to answer, as there are many aftermarket part suppliers out there, and to lump them all together vs Evinrude (in your example) is meaningless.

What you do know is that the Evinrude kit will be what Evinrude intended for your motor, and that any other brand may or may not be.

Some brands like Sierra have been out there for a while and seem to have a good reputation, while other brands like Mallory get bashed more often.

I've compared prices occasionally and have not found aftermarket parts for my boat to be significantly cheaper to me than the Merc. stuff.

YMMV

F_R

Supreme Mariner

iboats sells aftermarket parts such as Sierra and others. Keep in mind that Sierra usually does not make the parts they sell, but purchase them from their vendors. In other words, carburetor parts come from different vendors than coils, etc. Therefor quality varies. Some of them are off-the-shelf substitutes that are ok, but do not meet OEM specs. On the other hand, Evinrude (BRP) doesn't make all their parts either. But their design and specifications are more established and strict. If I have any complaint about Sierra, etc, it would be their quality control. Seems like bad parts slip through sometimes.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

If I have any complaint about Sierra, etc, it would be their quality control. Seems like bad parts slip through sometimes.

comment based on your experience is really appreciated

Jim

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

LOL every part you get regardless of label is probably made in the same place.

I have never had any problem with aftermarket and as a matter of fact I have found CDI electronic parts superior to the original.

I have never had a fit problem with any small parts from water pumps, starter's, carb kits, pistons or gasket sets.

The ONLY part I would be leery of would be an entire lower unit from an aftermarket such as SEI but they have a warranty.

Is it worth going OEM? Only if the part is not available aftermarket and is specific.

Funny thing about aftermarket VS OEM in a water pump kit. You can not tell the parts apart. Many people waste monet buying the whole kit when realistically all they need is the impeller.

I have installed many sierra impellers and OEM and use the same routine on all of them..... I use vaseline for the new fins and make sure the impeller cup is not damaged and aligned properly. I have had an OEM mercury impeller fail first trip out and returned it (what was left) and was given a new one ...... historically bad impellers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

it will vary by part type. for example, riser gaskets - OEM is much better than the after market pieces from Sierra.
engine gaskets, rings, bearings, etc - here is a case where the aftermarket (Fel-Pro and Sealed Power) are brands of the OEM supplier - Federal Mogul
engine water pumps come from companies such as Johnson and ITT-Jabsco, as well as the impellers inside.

here is something of note on ignition parts. OEM ignitions for years were Prestolite. Prestolite is the manufacturer, Mallory is a Prestolite brand. Mercruiser specifies their own ignitions from a variety of manufacturers. Cherry and Mallory are both used. specifically on the ignition sensor, the Mallory parts were sealed and conformal coated. the Cherry parts were not and failed quickly.

so the question comes down to, which parts are we talking?

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been going through this with Johnson fuel connectors. I have one old OEM that works well. Bought others that don't connect and lock in properly.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

in this case the original johnson fuel connector was made by OMC (johnson&evenrude). this is an example where the aftermarket is not equal and OEM is best.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

in this case the original johnson fuel connector was made by OMC (johnson&evenrude). this is an example where the aftermarket is not equal and OEM is best.

from that, it would indicate there is a difference in OMC and Bombardier fuel connectors ... what is that design difference

Jim

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Bombardier bought the Johnson/Evenrude product from OMC (Outboard Marine Company) in 2001. belairbrian's engine is an '89. not sure if Bombardier changed any designs, he was using sierra and attwood parts that would leak like crazy.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

our Johnson is an '03 .... we are still using the OEM fuel connector .... if/when we should need a replacement, I guess I'll have to figure out what brand will work best on our motor

Jim

Scott Danforth

Staff member

our Johnson is an '03 .... we are still using the OEM fuel connector .... if/when we should need a replacement, I guess I'll have to figure out what brand will work best on our motor

Jim

Johnson parts thru a johnson/evenrude dealer

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW the boat shop just built a new hose for my boat and used a real OMC/BRP fitting. And no leaks.