odd tire wear on a venture tandem trailer

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While starting to prep the boat and trailer for spring i took notice that the right front tire on the front axle and the left rear tire on the rear axle are badly feathered. The trailer is a venture VATB-8025 alum I-beam. I bought this trailer new last march. I have put less then 1000 miles on it. I thought if the axles werent squared with the trailer frame then all 4 tires would show irregular wear. Any ideas?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: odd tire wear on a venture tandem trailer

No not necessarily it sounds like it is out of square for one reason or another, I would suspect the spring eye bushings. or bent axles.

Thalasso

Commander

New trailer last year? I would presume they (springs) are leafs and not torsion. I really doubt you have a bent axle. I would think if axles are not square you would get scrubbing on the outside on one and inside on the opposite side of same axle. Rotate the tires and get the wheels balanced and see how that turns out.You can look on the I-beam where the u-bolt holds the suspension (spring package) and see if it shows marks indicating if the axle has shifted.
Check your spring equalizers both sides and make sure a shackle hasn't flipped over.Your trailer has a two year warranty on it.

This is what they should look like.
39291-14-large_zpse8822ada.jpg

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

First thing is to hook it up to your tow vehicle, and see if the trailer's frame is level. You also need to make sure the trailer's tongue weight is 10% of the trailer's weight or slightly more.

Many trailers pulled nose high will put too much weight on the rear axles, and the spindles can bend. If that's the case, you can buy an adjustable receiver hitch that can level the trailer frame.

The last resort would be to take your trailer to a trailer dealership and see what their opinion of the problem is. Bent axles?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Got any pics of the tires in question?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm aware of the 2 year warranty but if it was something simple i would take care of it instead of towing it 30 miles to the closest venture trailer dealer. The trailer does sit level when attached to my truck. I have around 900 lbs of tongue weight. I did try and take a pic of the tires but they didn't come out right. The odd thing is it's just the outside tread on those 2 tires. I'm gonna double check everything then balance and rotate the tires. In May i'm going on a 500 mile roud trip with the boat and i will c if the tires wear start to wear funny.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

They will..... tire wear problems do not cure them selves.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My idea is if i put the 2 tires tht didn't wear into those position and they start to show signs of wear then there is something out of wack some where. If they don't wear then i just have 2 crappy tires

Bondo

Staff member

My idea is if i put the 2 tires tht didn't wear into those position and they start to show signs of wear then there is something out of wack some where. If they don't wear then i just have 2 crappy tires

Ayuh,.... or you could just Measure the alignment...

Each axle end should be an equal distance to the center of the coupler, to it's opposite axle end...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Many trailers pulled nose high will put too much weight on the rear axles, and the spindles can bend. If that's the case, you can buy an adjustable receiver hitch that can level the trailer frame.

You cannot put too much weight on either the front or rear axle of a tandem axle trailer because there is a single point load and that's on the center of the equalizers. All the weight, regardless how it is distributed or whether the tongue is high or low has no bearing on axle loading -- which is why it is called an equalizer. On torsion axles this would be a true statement.