Odd shift cable fail

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Have been having trouble shifting since putting "new" drive on in the spring. Biggest issues were having to pull handle through neutral into reverse to get out of gear. No stalling. Shift cable seemed sticky, I attributed it to another delayed problem after it got swamped (cable was new in 2020). Pulled the drive and noticed that the cable freed up. Looked fine. Pulled the core and wiped it down, no deposits or anything. Put a bit of dry lube on it and replaced. Silky smooth after that. Shifted fine. Odd in that it didn't stall, I'm wondering if it was catching on something rather than sticking. I didn't end up replacing anything, we'll see how it holds up.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
So interestingly enough, it failed again almost immediately on the water. Failure was needing to pull through f->n->r to get out of gear. Going r->n caused it to stall. The cable while not perfect didn't seem overly sticky. Realized that getting out of forward the sis didn't activate until there was a lot of pressure on the cable (going into reverse) while the other way it was activating early. Removed the cables and could feel that the plate was much harder to push in one direction. Took it off, reversed the spring and the symptoms reversed. So I took the spring off and bent it a bit. Now the sis activates earlier/with less pressure applied and it comes out of gear earlier. Has anyone heard of this as a failure mode? I don't recall seeing it if so.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
There's a v spring update (years ago) with yellow paint on the ends that can help

Also, if your shift interrupt switch is the older style, spring arm/roller style the adjustment is a #1 phillips and needle nose

nola mike

Vice Admiral
There's a v spring update (years ago) with yellow paint on the ends that can help

Also, if your shift interrupt switch is the older style, spring arm/roller style the adjustment is a #1 phillips and needle nose
What's the update? What's the adjustment? Used a needle nose to bend the spring, also was going to use on the roller arm, but that didn't seem to be the problem.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Post #4, second statement

Take the time to witness how the shift plate system works. There's a lot going on there, you can't just glance at it a couple times and figure it out.

It's like convoluted simplicity

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Post #4, second statement

Take the time to witness how the shift plate system works. There's a lot going on there, you can't just glance at it a couple times and figure it out.

It's like convoluted simplicity
I understand exactly how it works, which is how I figured it out, thanks. Perhaps you don't understand that adjusting the tension in the spring roller, or its position (if that's what your comment was referring to, but who knows since it was so vague) won't affect the behavior that I described?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Could water be leaking into the cable via the cable bellows?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
If you did you wouldn't have posted a situational explanation with no resolve

Benefit of the doubt concerning your prowess, the interrupt switch has failed?
Post #3 is the resolve, no the SIS didn't fail. The failure was uneven spring tension on the plate, causing it to move much more easily in one direction than the other.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Could water be leaking into the cable via the cable bellows?
Bellows were dry. I thought that there might be some residual junk in there after it got dunked. There had been water in there at that time. The cable was perfectly smooth when I put the drive back on the other day, but it didn't resolve the problem.

flashback

Captain
My drive was leaking at the Oring and pumping water into the shift cavity. I never knew it until I took the big plastic cover off the top of the engine and could see it coming out of the lower cable..

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Post #3 is the resolve, no the SIS didn't fail. The failure was uneven spring tension on the plate, causing it to move much more easily in one direction than the other.

Will default to post #4 again, however the first statement

The updated, thicker, more tensiony v spring is painted yellow on the ends. I'm afraid I cannot explain that any more

flashback

Captain
So what did you do with the spring to solve the uneven tension.? I have the same problem occasionaly.