OD 11 dagger board

Dzbin

Recruit
I’m looking for a method for holding the dagger board down and in place while sailing. I think I have the original dagger board, can’t figure out what’s missing to hold it in place. Buoyancy makes it pop up.
Before I jerry-rig a bungee, I’m wondering what the original design was for this.

(Error message when I try to post a pic)

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard: photo posting isn't working on the forums right now, you have to link from a hosting service (like imgur).

The daggerboard should mostly stay down on it's own when you're sailing. I don't recall any of them I've used having something to "hold" them down (bungee / strap / whatever). I think that's intentional because I've come into shallows with a Sunfish and had to have the board push back up.

Does it lift up while you're sailing?

Dzbin

Recruit
I’m looking for a method for holding the dagger board down and in place while sailing. I think I have the original dagger board, can’t figure out what’s missing to hold it in place. Buoyancy makes it pop up.
Before I jerry-rig a bungee, I’m wondering what the original design was for this.

(Error message when I try to post a pic)

Welcome aboard: photo posting isn't working on the forums right now, you have to link from a hosting service (like imgur).

The daggerboard should mostly stay down on it's own when you're sailing. I don't recall any of them I've used having something to "hold" them down (bungee / strap / whatever). I think that's intentional because I've come into shallows with a Sunfish and had to have the board push back up.

Does it lift up while you're sailing?

Dzbin

Recruit
Yes, it lifts up while sailing. I’m starting to think it originally was held down by friction and tight fit at the end of travel, and may have worn out and loosened maybe?
Previous owner says he just held it down with his knee bet that doesn’t seem right 🤣
Photos:

southkogs

Staff member
I’m starting to think it originally was held down by friction and tight fit at the end of travel, and may have worn out and loosened maybe?
Yes, that's how it would have probably worked.

You might try a bungee to hold it in place, but make sure it can travel up if you hit something.

Alternatively, consider making or buying a new one. They're not cheap to buy new, but if you're any good with woodworking they're not terribly hard to make. Perhaps you might find one on some classified ads (used) and get it shipped to you?

Enzo42

Recruit
To hold your daggerboard down while sailing, the original design typically includes a pin or clip that secures it in place. If this is missing, consider using a bungee cord or shock cord attached to the leading edge of the daggerboard to maintain tension and prevent it from popping up due to buoyancy. This method is commonly used and can be adjusted for optimal performance while sailing :)