Obtained a boat

Eskort

Cadet
Hi there all, just looking for a little help here. I was given an old crestliner boat that has a super sea-horse electramatic on it. I dont know what size the motor is first of all. Second of all I have an issue. I put a battery in it, motor cranks awesome, has lots of compression and is definately getting fuel, no start. I put a spark tester on it, no spark. Change the plugs, no spark. It sat for 2 years till today. What would you recommend I begin with? Also, the model number is RK-25D and the Serial number is C385539, if someone could give me as much info as possible on the year and whatnot of the motor that would be awesome. There is hardly even a scratch on this thing so I would kind of like to get it running. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Obtained a boat

Wow thats the exact same motor I am working on (except mine is a '62 evinrude lark, exact same motor except for color).

You have to remove the flywheel to access the ignition system. At this point, follow JB's advice and replace coils, condensors, points, plug wires (and boots) and you will have a whole new ignition system that will last for years. Since the flywheel is such a pain to remove it's best to do it now.

Also: clean out carb AND fuel pump AND replace all hoses (some may be clogged or cracked) AND check all wires for breaks.

This motor is VERY VERY VERY VERY easy to work on.

PS: I heard a tip yesterday from an OMC mechanic of 25years... briefly remove the drive key at the top of the crankshaft, replace flywheel, engage starter and spin it... this will lap the crank with a groove that will ensure a prefect fit of flywheel AS WELL AS super easy future removal.

Good Luck, let me know if you need a wiring diagram or manual.
Shawn T
Wichita, KS

lindy46

Captain

If you haven't checked compression with a gauge, I'd do that first, before dumping any money into the motor. If compression is ok, then you'll probably need to pull the flywheel and replace the coils, points, condensers and plug wires. That should solve the problem of no spark.

Eskort

Cadet

Ok, do i need a special puller to remove the flywheel? Im a licensed mechanic but have never worked on many outboards. Also, when I have the battery hooked up, should the selector be able to go in and out of gear or does it need to be running?

lindy46

Captain

Harmonic puller goes in the 3 holes on top of the flywheel. Use #8 hardened bolts so they don't break off. Motor should shift without it being running when battery is connected. You can tell if it's shifting: In neutral, prop should turn freely. In either gear, it should not turn, or turn with a lot of resistance.

Eskort

Cadet

ok, so i removed the flywheel, all points and condensers and whatnot look brand new, small amount of crud on the points, used very fine sandpaper, ran it on the points a few times, reassembled and it runs like a top. However, it gets very hot. I had it in a bucket while running, but didnt notice any water being spit out. Where does the water spit out and how can i make sure the water pump is working? If i need a water pump, does the lower unit come off or do i need to remove the powerhead? Last question, i drained the oil from the lower unit, and i think it was regular gear oil, like 80w90, at least thats what it smells like, it was grey when it came out but no water after i was running it. It was shifting in and out of gear no problem, just wanted some thoughts on it. Can i use regular bottom end oil in it or is it a special oil?

lindy46

Captain

Water should be coming out the large hole on the back of the leg. Make sure you have the lower unit deep enough in the water. Water pump sits on top of the lower unit, so you have to remove the L/U to change the impeller in the pump. You have to disconnect the wires going to the lower unit on that motor. That lower unit uses the Type C gear oil - thinner than the standard 80-90wt. gear oil used in mechanical shift motors.

Eskort

Cadet

Thanks for the tip on how low the unit needs to be in the water. I put it lower in the bucket and it spits LOTS of water out the exhaust hole. I let it run for probably 20 minutes and could still touch the engine. Awesome. The boat was given to me so I am happy it works. Now on to the resto of the boat which isnt much work really, all the electronics work, i need to get my mom to recover the seats as she does upholstry. I have already taken the rotten cedar strips out of the floor, need to get some PL Premium and some fiberglass, cut some wood, then go to my dads carpet store, get some carpet and away we go. Oh and a good polish on the outside wont hurt either. Im pumped now that the motor is good.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome! Good luck with your project. Glad to hear your having great luck with her. Post some pics when you have some time.

Eskort

Cadet

Well I would like to thank all you people who helped me out with my motor. I had a few bugs to work out but got it all fixed up. I was given a complete working motor exact same as mine. I went for a ride, blew forward, changed whole bottom end from parts motor, put proper oil in and all was good. After next ride, a weekend trip more so, drained oil out of curiosity, water and milk came out. Removed prop and outer housing, seal was beat completely out. Outer housing from original motor was in A1 condition, put it on, new oil again, so far so good. The only thing I have done that I have not tried out, was the original bottom end had a hydrofoil on it, and It planed out like a flash. The new bottom end I put on didnt have one and I find it is very slow to plane, so just today I put the hydrofoil back on and will try it on the weekend and see what happens, should be ok. HAHA, on GPS the 63 crestliner mustang with the 40 johnson got 44 km/h. Thought that was pretty good seeing as it was a free boat that works and it is 47 years old. Anyway thanks guys for the help, im sure you will hear from me again lol.