Oar length

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I think it will be an easy way to get a measurement for what i need. Ill buy oars that are the length I like.

HayU

Cadet
Hey, I went through all of this. I rehabbed an old motorboat that someone proceeded to convert into a jon boat. So, it looks cool, it looks rowable. But, it's not easily pushed through the water because of the, (excuse) suppository shape. A 9.9 hp couldn't get it, it took all 20 hp. (Glad I got a Suzuki!) And the problem with oars is to meet all of the dimensions previously stated I would be looking at a 1000$ investment. The difference between a 10ft oar and a garden variety 9.5 is more than 6 inches. And so just my luck the 9.5'ers were sold out on Amazon. And the white water paddles are just too radical. plus, A 20ft wingspan ain't nothing. I've spent many hrs. lugging on a long oar. we used two hands for one oar. Without the benefit of a slide you may not get enough travel in each stroke to make it worth the large investment. I'm going to circle back and try to find a pair for 149.99. Until then, I can do just fine with a standup paddle I don't care too much about. It's also a push pole. G'luck and remember, the fish don't care

airshot

Rear Admiral
Two of my boats have "trolling motors" because we TROLL., i.e., run long lines out the back with fishing plugs looking for the big ones. One is a 3.5 and the other a 5.0. They can also be classified as "kickers" and both will bring us home in an emergency.

Another one in my fleet has an electric "trolling motor". It is used to move around the weed beds where the fish are. "Electric trolling motor" is a misnomer, IMHO. But certainly it is NOT a kicker than can bring me home.

If safety is a concern, oars or electrics have the same utility. They will get you to shore where you can use your VHF to call for a tow. The only advantage to one over the other is that the battery will run out of juice long before I run out of oar power.....LOL.
Today's trolling motors could easily bring you home. I can get over 8 hrs run time from my setup. Even at only 3 mph it would cover 25 miles, plenty to get me back even if slow...not sure your gonna go much faster with oars.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
This isn't rocket science. I posted a formula way back in the beginning. All you need to know is the beam and freeboard. If you google it there are a dozen other formulas that come up.

I have put oars on 3 different boats in the last 35 years and als I had to do was calculate the length and go order them.

One thing that I don't think has been touched upon was that whatever size you buy it has to fit inside the boat when not in use. Also, back in the olden days (I learned from my Dad) rowboats had "oar chocks" so they wouldn't fall in the water when you weren't rowing. Nobody uses them any more (doubtful anybody even KNOWS what it is today). When I restored my woodie that was certainly an addition I had to make.

1705257497801.jpeg

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Nice little boat JimS!

The photo here is of a not-pretty 14 ft aluminum boat used on a small lake in the Adirondacks by a lot of people. It has chocks, and an oar is (usually) stored in the location built-in to the boat. That's the "emergency paddle" - it's also useful (better with its twin) for getting that boat into shallow areas with the motor tilted-up.
oar 2.jpg

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
This isn't rocket science. I posted a formula way back in the beginning. All you need to know is the beam and freeboard. If you google it there are a dozen other formulas that come up.

I have put oars on 3 different boats in the last 35 years and als I had to do was calculate the length and go order them.

One thing that I don't think has been touched upon was that whatever size you buy it has to fit inside the boat when not in use. Also, back in the olden days (I learned from my Dad) rowboats had "oar chocks" so they wouldn't fall in the water when you weren't rowing. Nobody uses them any more (doubtful anybody even KNOWS what it is today). When I restored my woodie that was certainly an addition I had to make.

View attachment 393530
Thanks for the link again! I looked at the link again, and I’m getting recommendations of around 10 1/2 almost 11 feet each per oar.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is my take. The oars are a secondary backup to the main motor

You will used them once or twice regardless if they are 9-1/2 feet or 11 feet

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Here is my take. The oars are a secondary backup to the main motor

You will used them once or twice regardless if they are 9-1/2 feet or 11 feet
Maybe so, maybe not. Personally, I use my oars all the time. There are some back-stream fishing holes where I go where oars are my only option. Even a trolley would fill up with weeds pretty quick.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I fish the river and I can’t get back upstream with a trolley motor is my entire problem or this wouldn’t even be an issue. I also go out alone or with my 2 year old son most of the time

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if a trolling motor wont push you upstream. a set of oars wont either.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
One of my favorite fishing spots is subjected to a very high river current. If all else fails, at least my oars will get me to the shore where the water is shallow and an anchor will take a good hold.

When your view downstream shows the mist from Niagara Falls, you need all the help you can get.

Then, 1-800-TowboatUS

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I have a Jon boat that is exclusively me powered for crabbing, some fishing, tooling around. Usually no more than 1 or 2 miles at a stretch. Prefer it to the kayak. 7 ft oars for me.