Oar length

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I’m thinking I need to get a set of oars for my Jon boat. I have an outboard and trolley motor with me at all times anyways, but I’m sure I won’t regret the purchase. My boat is 16 feet long and the beam is 68.5”. I’ve done some Google searching but I’m confused as to what to buy. Any idea on proper length of oars for this boat? Best I can tell 10 feet.

dwco5051

Commander
Hate a question that I have no answer for and have to think about and lookup. My question is why do you want oars. Belt and suspender thing to get you back to shore when your battery goes dead and outboard both die at the same time. Or just for exercise and/or the enjoyment Your age and physical condition would also be a factor. Mental condition also might be questioned by some of the couch potatoes on this list. I also had to walk out in the snow to my shop and measure the oars I use on my 12' tinny on occasion. It is 50"between the locks and the oars I use are 6'. Using the formula 1/2 beam (distance between oarlocks) x 3 + 6" = oar length means mine are amost a foot short but they fit me to a tee and are not tiring. I took that boat out often to my local lake along with one rod and a bandaid box of lures to relive my youth and relaxation. I was 82 and 83 the last couple of times I used it and had to skip using it this year for various reasons. The longer the oars the more effort and skill it takes to row. Unless you plan on competing in a regatta I would think that 9 footers would work well.
The other nice part about having a boat with oars is teaching grandchildren how to row.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Hate a question that I have no answer for and have to think about and lookup. My question is why do you want oars. Belt and suspender thing to get you back to shore when your battery goes dead and outboard both die at the same time. Or just for exercise and/or the enjoyment Your age and physical condition would also be a factor. Mental condition also might be questioned by some of the couch potatoes on this list. I also had to walk out in the snow to my shop and measure the oars I use on my 12' tinny on occasion. It is 50"between the locks and the oars I use are 6'. Using the formula 1/2 beam (distance between oarlocks) x 3 + 6" = oar length means mine are amost a foot short but they fit me to a tee and are not tiring. I took that boat out often to my local lake along with one rod and a bandaid box of lures to relive my youth and relaxation. I was 82 and 83 the last couple of times I used it and had to skip using it this year for various reasons. The longer the oars the more effort and skill it takes to row. Unless you plan on competing in a regatta I would think that 9 footers would work well.
The other nice part about having a boat with oars is teaching grandchildren how to row.
I have a 1 year old son that I take out fishing often. It basically would just be a break glass Incase of emergency set of oars. Whoever had the boat before me removed the oar locks. I need to install more.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Short oars are not the issue...distance between handles when your sitting in the rowing position !! If to far apart it will be difficult to row. Handles should be about a foot apart maximum for the rower. Then distance to oar lock, then distance from oar lock to tip of paddle. But that depends on height of boat sides off the water. If the rower is tall or short also makes a difference. There is a ratio for paddle length from oar lock to paddle tip based on height of side above the water, and distance from handle to oarlock. WHEW...lots of calculations to make it comfortable and they are all critical !! Or....borrow a pair from a friend, or buy a pair from a place they can be returned...try them out, make adjustments by taking measurements, then you can buy a pair the proper length that will work !! 16 footer is a lot of boat to row !!

Chief Petty Officer
Just get an emergency telescopic paddle .

Products_Marine_TelescopicPaddle_Yellow_.png

They take up no space . Oars are big and heavy.

If you do your own maintenance, a properly maintained outboard is literally bulletproof. Even with an untested "new to me" outboard, I've always managed to make it back. Besides, you have trolling motor, which is essentially your backup if your outboard dies. You should never have to rely on oars, unless your outboard & trolling motor both die.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just get an emergency telescopic paddle .

Products_Marine_TelescopicPaddle_Yellow_.png

They take up no space . Oars are big and heavy.

If you do your own maintenance, a properly maintained outboard is literally bulletproof. Even with an untested "new to me" outboard, I've always managed to make it back. Besides, you have trolling motor, which is essentially your backup if your outboard dies. You should never have to rely on oars, unless your outboard & trolling motor both die.
Some fantastic fishing spots we have locally can not be accessed easily without having the outboard tilted up. Oars are a godsend. Paddles don't work unless you have 2 of them and another person to paddle with you.

I have been stranded only twice. One was with a brand spanking new outboard that failed during warranty. The other was with an old reliable one that had just had a tune-up the day before (one of the brand new tune-up parts failed the first day.

I will not own a small fishing boat without oars. If it's too wide for oars she has a kicker on the transom.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve got a trolley motor and I’ve considered getting a little 3 hp motor instead of oars. I think the 3 would be cheaper and easier to manage, but wanted to see how viable oars would be.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I’ve got a trolley motor and I’ve considered getting a little 3 hp motor instead of oars. I think the 3 would be cheaper and easier to manage, but wanted to see how viable oars would be.
Oars are 100% viable, much easier to manage, and immensely cheaper than a 3 HP gas motor.

What's a "trolley motor"?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Trolling motor, electric....
Two of my boats have "trolling motors" because we TROLL., i.e., run long lines out the back with fishing plugs looking for the big ones. One is a 3.5 and the other a 5.0. They can also be classified as "kickers" and both will bring us home in an emergency.

Another one in my fleet has an electric "trolling motor". It is used to move around the weed beds where the fish are. "Electric trolling motor" is a misnomer, IMHO. But certainly it is NOT a kicker than can bring me home.

If safety is a concern, oars or electrics have the same utility. They will get you to shore where you can use your VHF to call for a tow. The only advantage to one over the other is that the battery will run out of juice long before I run out of oar power.....LOL.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Vikings used oars powered by captured folk...... For centuries

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Trolling motor. It might be a regional thing.
It's not regional. Electrics are and have always been called trolling motors because eons ago that's how they were marketed.

The regional aspect is how they are used. Some "troll" pulling a line out back. Others "troll" by simply moving around while manually casting their lure as the boat moves.

The "trolley" term is what cornfused the discussion. It's kinda like saying wench on the trailer.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
It's not regional. Electrics are and have always been called trolling motors because eons ago that's how they were marketed.

The regional aspect is how they are used. Some "troll" pulling a line out back. Others "troll" by simply moving around while manually casting their lure as the boat moves.

The "trolley" term is what cornfused the discussion. It's kinda like saying wench on the trailer.
We call em trolley motors here in indiana not trolling motors. It’s any traditional electric motor that you hook up to a battery. The way you use it has impact on the name. No one here calls them trolling motors it’s always trolley motor.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Being someone that misses the obvious a majority of the time it occurred to me exactly what to do. I am going to buy 2 2x2x10 or 2x4x10s this spring and see what length is comfortable to get the feelings of paddling with.

dwco5051

Commander
Being someone that misses the obvious a majority of the time it occurred to me exactly what to do. I am going to buy 2 2x2x10 or 2x4x10s this spring and see what length is comfortable to get the feelings of paddling with.
I have never rowed a boat with 2X4's but once my son in law and I paddled a 19' Crownline I/O about 500 yards back to the dock with two water skis as paddles.