NS40C Year?

opencage

Cadet
I PM'd a member about this but then nothing showed in my sent box so I'm not sure if it went through, I figured I'd just post it here.

I was hoping someone could tell the year of my Nissan 40HP outboard: NS40C, 361A-1, 69786

I know it's not important for maintenance/service, but I'm selling it and would like to have the year.

Thanks for any help!

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try going to the NissanMarine nissanmarine.com website. There is a page there where you can request the model year.

pvanv

Admiral
You can drop an email to Tohatsu, with the serial number and they may be able to give you year of manufacture. The 40C was made in the 1990's. The last parts catalog is from around 2004.

opencage

Cadet
This response took about 10 minutes to come in from the request form on nissanmarine.com:

Our records show that this motor, serial #69786, is a 1988 model year outboard.

Best Regards,
Jim Morgenthaler
Tohatsu America Corp.

Thanks all for the help!

Any one interested in a 1988 NS40C in Colorado? :)

Currently winterized, here's some some images, list of parts I recently got (I got the air silencer Paul told me to get, they still make parts for it), and videos of it running (slow, fast, muffs). Also has new RC5E remote control (from Paul) and SELOC service book.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_laOBzW11FVSSOWJr5eNJdIrA8VBOK0G

I kind of don't want to get rid of it, because it seems like such a great engine, and perfect (lightweight) for this little Whaler. But I got the go ahead to spend some money on a 4 stroke, "an engine that doesn't stink" as my wife put it, I was thinking the newer Yamaha F25SWC... I don't think I'd lose too much power, I think I'd still have enough to get around quick for fishing and tow a tube. And I'd like the fuel-economy and peace of mind of a newer motor.

pvanv

Admiral
The Tohatsu MFS30 will cost less... and has a 5-year warranty... and will be lighter than the Yamaha...

opencage

Cadet
The Tohatsu MFS30 will cost less... and has a 5-year warranty... and will be lighter than the Yamaha...

Paul, I was definitely looking at that, based on this forum and this Nissan (= Tohatsu), and you honestly, I like Tohatsu as a brand and if all those things are true, I'd jump on it, there are dealers in my area.

Specifically, I'm looking for a 4 stroke, short shaft, remote steering, around 25-30 hp, as light as possible for this 1963 BW13, ok with manual tilt but maybe go with power t&t depending on cost and weight

Here's the specs I found, please correct me if I'm not comparing them correctly, e.g. Tohatsu comes with controls and Yamaha doesn't, I'm assuming these prices are just motor, prop, fuel lines:

Tohatsu MFS30CEPTS https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/30_4st.html
Weight: 157 lbs
Price: $6,027

Yamaha F25SWC https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho.../f25-specialty & https://www.inflatableboats.net/yamaha-25hp-f25swc/
Weight: 126 lbs
Price $3600-4500

Those prices are just what I found online, I have a Yamaha F25SWC quote request in to a local dealer in MI where I'll finish this boat, I should put one in for the Tohatsu MFS30 too.

I'm assuming another $1000-$1500 for install and controls. I'm also thinking of a hydrofoil for slower planing speeds, but would defer to the boat guys / install team for their expertise. But this one planes super quick with the hydrofoil on it.

Please advise if any of this is wrong.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't add hydrofoils, it's just a matter of perfect transom height and lower leg match, correct weight distribution. Besides being huge garbage collectors can increase lower leg drag if don't run parallel to water level when combo is on plane.

Just prop the motor right to run middle to max wot rpm range factory stated and as loaded for a faster plane.

Happy Boating

opencage

Cadet
Don't add hydrofoils, it's just a matter of perfect transom height and lower leg match, correct weight distribution. Besides being huge garbage collectors can increase lower leg drag if don't run parallel to water level when combo is on plane.

Just prop the motor right to run middle to max wot rpm range factory stated and as loaded for a faster plane.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the heads up. This Nissan came with them and I liked how fast it planed, but don't have any experience otherwise, though I have read folks like them for these classic BW13's. But I've also read your points about just getting it set up right. I think it's something I can not do at first and if I don't think I'm getting up fast enough, I can add it later. Thanks.

opencage

Cadet
I know this thread has gotten away from the original topic, but I'm really considering the MFS30CETS-REMOTE now. I think it's 180 lbs but the more I think about it, the more I think I'll like the power trim and tilt. And I'll have 35 less pounds back there with only one gas tank. It's a little heavier than I wanted, but still within acceptable range for the hull. I need to talk to dealers. Thanks all for the help and info, keep it coming if you want.

Oh, but do new Tohatsus come with control box and cables? Or still a separate purchase?

I should start another thread though.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Power tilt is nice. The Tohatsu MFS25/30 are the same frame; the 30 has a more aggressive ECU... the 25 is technically detuned (if the boat cannot handle 30). All Tohatsu motors come complete with all controls. You will need to select and purchase the correct length of the control cables for throttle and shift, based on the length in the boat.

opencage

Cadet
Power tilt is nice. The Tohatsu MFS25/30 are the same frame; the 30 has a more aggressive ECU... the 25 is technically detuned (if the boat cannot handle 30). All Tohatsu motors come complete with all controls. You will need to select and purchase the correct length of the control cables for throttle and shift, based on the length in the boat.

Thanks Paul, good to know about the controls included, another check for Tohatsu.

I'd like the extra 5HP, I think it's worth the extra ~$500, and they both weigh the same don't they?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If going for the Tohatsu 30 can give nice tips to improve hole shot and get the max out of that nice 30 HP motor and forget all about adding hydrofoils. Both 25 & 30 models weight exact same 158 lbs./ 71.5 Kg.

Happy Boating

opencage

Cadet
If going for the Tohatsu 30 can give nice tips to improve hole shot and get the max out of that nice 30 HP motor and forget all about adding hydrofoils. Both 25 & 30 models weight exact same 158 lbs./ 71.5 Kg.

Happy Boating

Ha, thanks, I appreciate it. I'll certainly take you up on that.

opencage

Cadet

Happy Boating

I just wanted to give an example of folks liking a hydrofoil for Boston Whaler 13s: http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4448&p=25349#p25349 with a specific experience on a 2018 MFS30CETS at the bottom, but like you said it could be a setup issue.