Now that's a Hog

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Now that's a Hog

Originally posted by Barlow:<br />whata they say for a hog.. 33% on the hoof weight will end up on the table??
I dunno Barlow. On the pigs I raise and slaughter for myself, that is about right. Some people eat every darn thing on a hog; tongue, kidneys, intestines, the inside fat, liver, brain, feet...not a lot of scrap when some people do a hog. Grosses me out.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I know my dog would just love those pig ears!<br /><br />I don't think I would want to make him mad while in the brush! <br /><br />You guys should be ashamed of yourselves making fun of that girl. That is someones daughter! I should say someones well fed daughter. Dang you guys got me doing it now.!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

44 Magnum gets the job done. <br />
629c.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had seen wild boar that size in Germany when I was stationed there in the 70's. I remember they were longer than a jeep was wide and tended to be very protective of their young.<br /><br />Bob

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I would have to believe that is some kind of genetic mutation to get so big. Would you eat a mutant?

NathanY

Commander

It is not uncommon for those Russian Boars to get that big...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I remember as a kid, my grandfather had a neighbor come over to the farm with his Cockshut 540 tractor. My grandfather farmed with horses and his horses didn't want anything to do with the hog he had been raising. So that is why the neighbor brought over his tractor. <br /><br />They wrapped a rope around its head and the other end to the tractor to take the hog from its pen to the area where he did his butchering. It was a slight grade up hill. When they got to the top, the hog decided he didn't want to go that direction and took off dragging the tractor with it! So they just shot him on the spot thinking that they could just drag him back up. Didn't work that way, so they ended up gutting him on the spot, rolled the carcus onto a skid and got the rest back to the butcher station. That was one hog that everybody was terrified of.<br /><br />The funniest thing was the fighting going on who got the possession of the mountain oysters! The top prize a hillbilly can get!

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Them tusk were 8-1/4" long.<br />The hide with the head was weighed at 284 lbs.<br />The neck is 42" around and the length from his eye socket to the tip of his nose at 11-3/4".
Which of the above pictures are we talking about?<br /><br />What is wrong with you Yanks? Telescopic sights on a revolver, for Chrissake! Handguns are point and shoot weapons, for close up. We don't bother with them here. If it's under rifle range we just run them down on foot and belt them on the head with a club. <br /><br />But the pigs are dangerous so we still shoot them.