Now just suppose...

Brimauster

Cadet
I'd love to get an Islander, but they're too pricey and too heavy for me to tow, so I was thinkin'... If I was to get my hands on an 18' SS, any year, would it be crazy to fabricate a smaller copy of an Islander-like cabin top on the 18' hull?

I'll be boating with the wife and daughter, and we all know they need a place to go, if you know what I mean...;) Some of the older Chieftains have cabins, and some of them are only 18 feet. I would more than likely make it out of aluminum for weight and uniformity reasons. What'cha think?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Now just suppose...

If you could keep the weight down (the Chieftan hull is a bit deeper than the regular 18-foot runabout hulls) then it might work. If you get too much weight up high then the boat could become unstable, or at the very least it would FEEL unstable, .ie it would roll more...

- Scott

Brimauster

Cadet

I figured it would roll a bit more with the extra height and weight. I'm only talking about twice the height of the windshield in total. Just enough to squeeze in for a nap or to use the head.

I would remove the windshield and build the cabin top and sides out of marine grade aluminum sheet, riveted together with some bracing and supports in the corners. It could then be bolted to the hull. Replace the windshield on top. I would have to build in the main bulkhead with the door to the cabin and a new helm station and attach that to the main deck and gunwales. This is all just theory right now, kind of a worst case scenario. I'll probably come to my senses before I even get a boat. More of a "what if..." than a real plan.:D

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The same idea has crossed my mind, but I believe that it would be cheaper in the long run to just purchase a older Islander and polish it up to suit.
I do like the way the Islander have the extra deep V. Definately rides better in rough water.