Now I went and did something.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I could not draw my bow this fall even with it turned all the was down, kind of a sad day I had not shot the bow in 3 years and when you realize yeah I am old now. I have decided to hit the easy button and bought a crossbow what a machine. Launches a 400 grain arrow at 450 feet per second. My former vertical bow I shot was set up with a 30" draw length draw weight maxed out at 82 pounds I shot a 470 grain arrow and the kinetic energy was suitable for large african game. It was around 300 feet per second.

I also changing my hunting tactics I will no longer be sitting in a tree. I will be hunting out of heated box stands and getting a side by side ride to my stands.

ezbtr

Commander
I could not draw my bow this fall even with it turned all the was down, kind of a sad day I had not shot the bow in 3 years and when you realize yeah I am old now. I have decided to hit the easy button and bought a crossbow what a machine. Launches a 400 grain arrow at 450 feet per second. My former vertical bow I shot was set up with a 30" draw length draw weight maxed out at 82 pounds I shot a 470 grain arrow and the kinetic energy was suitable for large african game. It was around 300 feet per second.

I also changing my hunting tactics I will no longer be sitting in a tree. I will be hunting out of heated box stands and getting a side by side ride to my stands.
Same!!! Medically retired 8 yrs ago (59 now) getting side by side , I've got enough (ish) rifles, been doing PT for a few weeks, helps alot, back and leg, but no humping around for me anymore, side by sides have AC and heaters too!! :)

aspeck

Staff member

Nice! Getting old sucks. Getting a workaround to getting old … priceless!

DeepCMark58A

Commander

I have gotten 10 ply soft since I moved, used to be doing horse chores heating with wood, doing work around the ranch. Now I hit a remote on the fireplace and get old and soft. I do miss hunting where I live but sitting in a box stand with the grandson is a good compromise.

FLATHEAD

Commander
I have gotten 10 ply soft since I moved, used to be doing horse chores heating with wood, doing work around the ranch. Now I hit a remote on the fireplace and get old and soft. I do miss hunting where I live but sitting in a box stand with the grandson is a good compromise.
Yeah sitting in a blind with a grandson/granddaughter is about as good a hunt as you can get.
Funny how things change when you hit that certain point. Late archery going on right now here. In the past I’d be out every chance I’d get. This year have had no motivation to go out.

flashback

Captain
Yeah sitting in a blind with a grandson/granddaughter is about as good a hunt as you can get.
Funny how things change when you hit that certain point. Late archery going on right now here. In the past I’d be out every chance I’d get. This year have had no motivation to go out.
I've had the same experience, just target practice for me with an xbow. I just lost the desire to kill, I'd rather feed them.. LOL I have younger friends who still hunt and are generous with meat.

aspeck

Staff member
I may throw the muzzleloader and cross bow in the boat and go trolling for lake trout while watching the shore and mountain side .... but just not overly motivated to drag or clean anything!

dwco5051

Commander
One of the workarounds to never getting any older really sucks too. Waking up in the hospital stuck full of tubes this Summer changed a lot of the way this 84 year old thinks. A tick borne disease that caused red blood cells to not reproduce almost put me down for the count. Actually thought I saw family members casting lots at the foot of my bed for my garments, guns, and boats. The boys belong to hunting camps out of the area, my best hunting and fishing companion and granddaughter is now 18, living away from home and can't get away any more. Did some still hunting this Fall uphill from my house to make the drag easier if by chance I would shoot one.

ezbtr

Commander
I've learned to do stuff ASAP , a few years back a work buddy (we shared fishing stories, recipies etc) tookTHAT extra week off in Alaska with his wife, where his sister lives and had a great 3 week vacation - a few months later the day I bought my house, he was killed at work (port of Oakland) - DO IT....

Reactions: KJM

dwco5051

Commander
I've learned to do stuff ASAP , a few years back a work buddy (we shared fishing stories, recipies etc) tookTHAT extra week off in Alaska with his wife, where his sister lives and had a great 3 week vacation - a few months later the day I bought my house, he was killed at work (port of Oakland) - DO IT....
Someone told me years ago to live each day as if it was your last because someday it will be.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, some days when I planed to go hunting, I wake up and look out at the cold and think maybe not, but I force myself to get off my butt and go. Usually happy I did once I hear the dogs barking on a rabbit!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I find fishing to be much easier than hunting and dressing a buck. But, I have neighbors that prefer the hunting...we trade meat..venison for perch !! Makes us both happy !!

ezbtr

Commander
Someone told me years ago to live each day as if it was your last because someday it will be.
YUP - I have seen that again and again in my old line of work.....I still have to keep reminding ME