Now all the gays can go to Canada!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
TORONTO - Canada's highest court said today the government can redefine marriage to include same-sex couples, but it added that religious officials cannot be forced to perform unions against their beliefs. <br /><br />The ruling by the court in Ottawa brings to the final stages a long, bitter fight over whether gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry in Canada. <br /><br />Judges in six provinces and one territory have already overturned the traditional definition, allowing thousands of same-sex weddings. <br /><br />Canada would join Belgium and the Netherlands in allowing gay marriage if the government acts to make it legal nationwide. To pass in the House of Commons, the legislation needs the approval of about 44 of the 95 Liberal backbench members of Parliament to obtain a 155-vote majority. <br /><br />One top Liberal predicted the legislation should pass easily after its introduction, likely early next year. It already has the support of the 38-member Liberal cabinet and virtually all the 54 Bloc Quebecois and 19 New Democrat MPs.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Now all the gays can go to Canada!

Self edit. I won't get anything started here. Sorry.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dont start any anti-gay this or that, just thought that there will be a rush of gay US citizens running off to be married in Canada.<br /><br />I dont know if you have to be a citizen of Canada to be married there.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Who knows. Maybe not, but they would not be recognized back in this country would they?

NYMINUTE

Captain

YeeHaw.....Can we get them to stay in Canaduh? They surely will take good care of them, and now the residents have a past-time to replace hockey.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Many out of country marriages are recognized in the USA.<br /><br />If two Canadians get married in Canada, they dont have to get remarried in the USA to make it legal in the USA.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea but, they would have to be Canadian's first though, right?

SoulWinner

Commander

The United States and Canada have a reciprocal treaty that states that we acknowledge each others laws. This means that the United States must accept marriages between gays/lesbians performed in Canada. Either that or renounce/amend the treaty.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> The United States and Canada have a reciprocal treaty that states that we acknowledge each others laws. This means that the United States must accept marriages between gays/lesbians performed in Canada. Either that or renounce/amend the treaty.
This is good news then, now our states can begin concentrating on improving our roads, create jobs, and contribute to the growth of our economy rather than waste time and $$ on gay marriage laws.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Many out of country marriages are recognized in the USA.<br /><br />If two Canadians get married in Canada, they dont have to get remarried in the USA to make it legal in the USA.<br /><br />Ken<br />
Only marriages from other countries that meet our standard of man-woman marriage are recognized.<br /><br />Ya think if Canada allows people to marry cows that we will recognize man-cow and woman-cow marriage here?<br /><br />Me thinketh not.<br /><br />Besides, who cares what Canada does? They are getting flakier by the minute.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My wife and I were legally married in the USA while she was here on a tourist visa.<br /><br />I also legally married her in Thailand when I was there only on a tourist visa.<br /><br />Perhaps one of them would have to be a Canadian?<br /><br />Mark42- Perhaps in the US laws it says all Canadian marriages are legal in the USA, it might not have specified man-woman marriage. Sounds like Canada defined marriage as a union between any two people. They didnt call it a "civil union".<br /><br />Ken<br /><br />Ken

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> The United States and Canada have a reciprocal treaty that states that we acknowledge each others laws. This means that the United States must accept marriages between gays/lesbians performed in Canada. Either that or renounce/amend the treaty.
IF the USA were to recognize it, it seems to me, not being an expert on marriage in general, nor homosexual marriage specifically, it would only be while they were here on a visit. If they were citizens of Canada and wanted to meve back, and again not knowing the laws, this is just supposition, it seems that one must become a citizen of the USA if you live here long enough. That would mean that as soon as they were again citizens of the USA, the "marriage" would eb null and void, since this country is still ahead fo this thing and banning the "marriage" of homosexuals. Again, just a supposition...not a thing to back it up :(

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ken, <br /><br />I'm not sure what your point is, but I am sure of this: same sex marriages in Canada will not be recognized here, at least they are not in NJ.<br /><br />I married my wife in the Bahamas. Funny thing is, no one here has ever asked for proof of it.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by spratt:<br />
IF the USA were to recognize it, it seems to me, not being an expert on marriage in general, nor homosexual marriage specifically, it would only be while they were here on a visit. If they were citizens of Canada and wanted to meve back, and again not knowing the laws, this is just supposition, it seems that one must become a citizen of the USA if you live here long enough. That would mean that as soon as they were again citizens of the USA, the "marriage" would eb null and void, since this country is still ahead fo this thing and banning the "marriage" of homosexuals. Again, just a supposition...not a thing to back it up :(
I have to wonder if the state they return to recognizes the union, what would be the options for HMO's I just don't see where they would qualify for a married status? If they did we can easily expect the current inflated costs to make health care unaffordable for 80% of this nation. Looks like the Canaduh is going to get some winners! democrats, and gays. Now if only we could send some celebrities.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Mark42 - my point is that I was wondering if a gay marriage in Canada would be recognized in the USA. I do hope you are correct.<br /><br />Hmmm you brought up a good point, I too have never had to produce proof of marriage to anyone except the INS when me moved here.<br /><br />I guess because common law marriages are as legal as the real thing, so no need to produce proof. In Texas, if you live together, and tell anyone "this is my spouse", its legal.<br /><br />Ken

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

So what's wrong with marrying a cow - if she's good looking?

spratt

Lieutenant

Mark42, maybe they haven't asked about it because you are male / female...if a couple were to announce it as male / male, or female / female, there would surely be some eyebrows raised, I would think.<br /><br />And NY, one of the big reasons folks want to go to Canada, is because of the Health Care there...that was one of the points when the news about disturbed Demo's going there hit the streets.

dolluper

Captain

What about Rosie and the other one ELean americans that tied the knot can't stop progress I guess only chance you have is the next vote to voice your opinion "maybe"!!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

dolluper, you are right about that!!! Our voice is our vote, and we are learning that even that can be fought about!!! Look at our state, Washingotn, for an example...<br /><br />All I know is that as long as I have breath, I will always vote against it. If I were to agree with their agenda, I would have to admit that I do not believe the Bible. And, I cannot do that!

dolluper

Captain

The new law says that religious groups" DO NOT" have to MARRY same sex couples so are cities will do it to grab a fee so you guys have to watch out for the state of Massa two of us they are leading the way ,so I<m not worried I know that their all headed for there Canada Rocks