Nothing like an Apache Gatling gun... WOW

KRS

Banned
Re: Nothing like an Apache Gatling gun... WOW

Rodbolt... if you are firing that weapon at an incoming surface missle.... than many things have already gone wrong and the chance of survival is getting very slim, I hope the chaff is popping!

KRS

Banned

Just watched the videos from Homerr. No wonder the Iraquis were crawling out of ditches with blood crusted ears after Desert Storm. Remember them surrendering by the hundreds?

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

I'm curious, in the Phalanx why tungsten or DU rounds for aircraft? Didn't guess airplanes & missiles were that hardened. Maybe improved cross-sectional density give better aerodynamics = better effective range? <br /><br />Also, how many safeguards built into the Phalanx to keep one from opening up on an F-18? Maybe their coded ID box or whatever quits working? (I have little idea how this works) I've seen these things in videos "aim' at friendlies. Man, that would scare the bejeebers out of me to see one of those tracking me if I was flying nearby! Makes me glad the good guys are the ones who have the best toys.

Twidget

Commander

Bearcat, unless things have been updated since I was in, if it flies it dies around CIWS. <br /><br />I have a tomahawk missile story for you. I was standing watch in CIC one night while they were testing the land attack version of the tomahawk off the coast of California.<br /><br />I was listening in of the lookout/bridge circuit, when I heard...'bridge starboard lookout, I have a OH SH1T!'. From what the lookout said, the missile went just aft of the mast and about 75 feet above the deck. :eek:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

bout what twidget says.<br />unless they have made changes and my buddies havent told me, if it meets the programmed incoming criteria and the gun is set to AAW auto with the firing key in the on position you willhere a lot of noise :) :)the block1 had no IFF<br /> dont need it<br /> tell them fighter jocks not to buzz us no more. we did have one from the Theodore Roosevlt that we painted. scared the jeebers outta the piolot and me and 3 others had a meeting in the capt stateroom rather pronto. but we did not get buzzed anymore :) <br /> I wish I had a pilot cam when he got a tone<br /> Twidget<br /> what rating were you<br /> I was FC<br /> AZFRY<br /> if it got past AEGIS odds are chaff aint gonna help much. but yep if ya have to use CIWS many things are going badly. <br /> there is some interesting notes back in the 70's when we were training Iranian pilots how to fly thier new F-14's how vunerable a carrier is. they "sunk" it 3 days running as well as taking out the CAP.

Twidget

Commander

Rodbolt, I was an EW.<br /><br />AEGIS? We didnt have no stinking AEGIS. I was on a Modified Perry class FFG. We had a MK92(if I remeber correctly.) hooked to a one armed bandit and a 76mm automolera (sp?) :) <br /><br /> AZFRY, I was the guy that popped the chaff. If the missiles got passed the SM1's and our popgun, I would much prefer counting on CIWS than aluminized mylar. :) <br /><br />I commissioned the USS Curts in '83. I looked up the ships site the other night and really got bummed. She is in the reserves now and they took her one armed bandit off. There is just a big plug where it used to be. Heck, that was what made us better than a Spruance.

KRS

Banned

rod and twidg... brought a smile to my face. I would MUCH rather count on good ole flying lead (or depleted uranium :eek: ) and gunpowder to save my butt than some confetti !

Triton II

Commander

rodbolt, I remember attacking (buzzing) the 8th fleet in the Mediterranean during the Lebanon crisis in 83. We were doing MPC (missile practise camp) out of Akrotiri in Cyprus and got asked if we could give the fleet a bit of anti-aircraft practise. Good fun flying an F6 Lightning at 640kts and 50ft, getting through the F14 CAPS and zapping the DDGs. Agree with everyone here though... for real we would have died against that f'in Phalanx! :eek: <br />
MadMarksMoment.jpg