Nothing like an Apache Gatling gun... WOW

Homerr

Commander
I want one of these!<br /><br />WARNING: The video may not be suitable for the PC or left-wing crowd... It contains scary guns that we (the tax payer) paid for and trained our military to use: :) :D <br /><br /> http://www.big-boys.com/articles/iraqfootage.html <br /><br />It's a 5mb download... Sorry 56K users :( <br /><br /><br />H.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Nothing like an Apache Gatling gun... WOW

Homer you should see a Vulcan on a Warthog pound a hole in a tank and its only a 30mm I belive---Bob :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep cool weapons. as a former CIWS tech I tend to like the m61A1 a tad more, you should see the effects of a .495 Dia subcaliber depleted uranium round from a 20mm m61A1 on a tank much less a missle or an aircraft. but due to ammo constraints we cycled ours at 1500 rounds per min.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The 7.62 gattling guns I worked with in Nam were rated at 6k rounds a minute.....but were seldom ever fired at that rate. If a pattern was needed, the pilot simply selected two, three or four out of four guns and fired away. They usually fired in burst of 5 sec duration. Lots of land re-development were done with these weapons.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the M61A1 20mm in a CIWS application cycles at 1500 rounds per min. I think the rounds then cost about 28 dollars a pop. that was for the depleted uranium. I understad the aircraft version of the M61A1 cycles at 6000 rounds per minute. makes a heckuva noise :) :)

gonfishn

Commander

Amazing how technology has developed over the last thirty five years..And I thought Puff the Magic Dragon was the ultimate back then..Now look at the new toys that are available for our enjoyment..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

boomyal<br /> yes<br /> it actually worked<br /> we used to say CIWS stood for capt it wont shoot. thge block0 versions were not so good. I was a block 1 tech. usually it took about 8 months to finally work all the bugs out of the system. we had to be able to reload in less than 10 min. its an incredibly complex weapon. that is why its so maint intensive. not a day goes by that something does not have to be fixed,adjusted or whacked :) :) . but what a rush when ya got to fire it. a night fire standing on the deck beside it is a rush. even with double hearing protection your ears feel it. your clothes jump about and its a sight.<br /> its about as good as watching a harpoon launch :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

All of the above videos shows why the Iraqis just melted into the woodwork this time around. They wouldn't stand a snowballs chance in HeII in a toe to toe.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rodbolt wish you could see the next generation of cheesewiz :p . Block 1B with longer barrels optimized for tungsten instead of Du, higher V at the muzzle etc. :cool: Oh, it has surface mode...bigscreen TV console with joystick and E/O I/R so you can play with small boats :) . Oh, that's right, I have a recreational small boat myself :eek: . Many other goodies in the R2D2 looking thing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

jimchere<br /> I may go to norfolk for a visit. I am a plankowner on the Arliegh Burke so maybe I can still get a tour :) :) <br />plus I do have a blue ID card :)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can I have the CIWS for my home defense!!! :D :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

One discovery channel I saw a gun that you could program at what distance the bullet would explode.<br /><br />You could make it go thru a wall, then explode inside the house. Or shoot where the enmy was dug in, then blow up above thier heads.<br /><br />Only one operator required. Very cool.<br />Ken

KRS

Banned

Those weapons are a new age of smart weapons. That weapon fires a payload round, I believe it was 20mm... anyone else know better?<br /><br />The round can be "packed" with different types of explosives etc.