not reaching full operating temp?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have twin vp 5.7gsi duo-prop drives my starboard eng runs at 170-175 f,
my port eng only runs at 150-155 f and burns significantly more fuel by about 17% there are no knock noises or power issues what could be causing this?

chiefalen

Captain
Re: not reaching full operating temp?

Are you sure of the temps?

The gauges could be messed up.

After you verify the temps, post your reply.

But the hotter motor actually might be running to hot.

When was the impeller changed in these motors last. T-stat also ?

Also you have heat exchangers they are known to clog up.

Burning more fuel with the colder motor hmmmm Do a vacuum check, Don s put a link at the top of the forum page Adults only look at how to use a vacuum gauge.

Ooops volvo motors ? Dont they plug into a computer to check everything ?

Post results. One last thing the motors are tuned up CORRECTLY ?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would it be a wise investment to just buy the computer software and cables to check this out it is about $575 or pay the volvo shop $200 per eng to get them checked?

chiefalen

Captain

Your a lucky dude, Don s the best, of the best mechanics is near you.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Would it be a wise investment to just buy the computer software and cables to check this out it is about $575 or pay the volvo shop $200 per eng to get them checked?

Hmmm...let's see!

Spend $575...and you own the diagnostics...that you can use every time that you get the urge...and that you could sell, if you change boats...?

Or...spend $400, for a one time report...that you will have no way to verify, is even accurate (dealers LOVE to sell parts, that you never need)...and the next time your engine hiccups, you get to spend another $200+...?

And the winner is (drum roll)...?

All kidding aside...imagine the fun, and the overall savings, that you can have with your own diagnostic tools!

chiefalen

Captain

Just click on his name and private message him. You are really lucky your near him.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my starboard eng runs at 170-175 f,
my port eng only runs at 150-155 f and burns significantly more fuel

They do use more fuel at lower temps. How much for just 20?, I don't know. Assuming you plan on doing your own maintenance now and in the future, I would suggest the TECH MATE Scan Tool only 400 and does everything you need it to do, and is upgradable if you get an even newer engine in the years to come. If money isn't an object, the software for the laptop is great, but for once in a while (They don't break that often) the scan tool will tell you the same thing, just takes a little longer to scroll and read.
The Tech Mate and the OEM service manuals, a DVM, fuel pressure gauges for the high pressure EFI systems and you wil be set to go (for 99% or the problems anyway).

Don S

Forgot to ask, what's the VP serial numbers of the wimpy engine.

Don S

Getting the cart before the horse here. First of all, if one engine runs cooler than the other, or looks like it, you need to get a temp gun and check to see what the engines are actually running. Shoot them at the same place on each engine and verify that there is a difference.
It could be a matter of a thermostat change, no reason for all kinds of hi-tech equipment for that. other than a $79 (or less) temp gun.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just pulled them off my ins paperwork but here are both ser #'s
1) SN 4012015675 Spec #3869059
2) SN 4012015671 Spec #3869059

Don S

Ok, they are both 1999 or 2000 model EF engines. TBI injection.
Odd thing is, neither one was ever registered with Volvo for warrenty. Have you owned this boat since new? Just a question, has nothing to do with your problem.

As I mentioned before, verify the temp is actually 20? cooler than the other engine. Shoot the temp gun at the base of the temp sender to see if the gauge is reading about right.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

they are oem on a 2000 monterey 322cr only have about 180 hrs on them. I just bought the boat as a bank repo in oct.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok don I ran them at the dock for about 20 min.

port eng max temp attained 145.4F

starbord max temp. 167.3F

Don S

Does that compare to what is on the gauge? Is this when the problem is (when setting at the dock) I thought it was out running under load is when you had the problem. Are the engine raw water cooled, or do you have heat exchangers?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the problem is all the time. port eng never gets above 150 starbord runs 170-175, yes it corresponds to the gages, last time i filled up starbord tank which had been running starbord engine and 5kw genset took 41 gal, port tank which only ran port eng took 57 gal.

Don S

Raw water cooled, or closed cooling system?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry closed cooling orca system

Don S

You might want to think about changing both thermostats. You should have 160? thermostats in both engines. They should open at 160? and you should be seeing close to 180? when running under load.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I finally had the time to replace thermostats today. took it for a spin and it warmed right up. Thanks for the help don I'll let you know if it helps the fuel burn on the next fill up.