More fish than mountain goat
Re: Not firing one cylinder

KCLOST,<br /><br />This is from the Mercury Parts Catalogue.<br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Chris.........

KCLOST

Commander

We need his serial# to make sure... We are looking at different models...<br /><br />The schematics I linked to are from a 1979 Model 500...<br /><br />I belive the ignition driver takes the place "so to speak" of the trigger.. But I could have the wrong model...

achris

Agreed. <br /><br />dburr, please supply your engine serial number.<br /><br />Chris........

dburr

Seaman

Sorry guys, I appreciate the help, but i wont be able to get the serial number until friday as the boat is at home in Toronto and Im in Baltimore. I have a ingnition driver. the only wire I can see that comes from under the flywheel goes to the retifier on the side on the engine. Its one wire that turns into two at the retifier... I have the single coil assembly and the lightening enegizer and switchbox thats it. Are you guys now thinking it may be a problem with the ignition system. I really hope so, cause to tell you the truth this seal replacement is scaring me abit, I dont think Im up to the job... What kinda price would you expect from a shop. Or do one of you guys want to fly to toronto and do it for me for a case of beer? Good Canadian beer.

achris

Beer sounds good to me! Where do I pick up the ticket?<br /><br />I feel 90% confident that it's the seals. With that ignition system (call it a trigger or ignition driver), if you are losing spark on one cylinder it's either the spark plug or something's putting the fire out. If you've put a known good plug in the hole, that only leave the other option. So, what can put the fire out? Lean fuel mixture? Yes, but the carb that feeds #4 also feeds #3, and #3 is firing. What else? damaged reed? VERY unlikely. I see about 1 broken reed a year, and that's mostly on Johnrudes of high hp. Are you getting any 'spitting back' from the bottom carb that's not on the top carb? What else? Water can stop a cylinder firing. And where can water enter an engine? through the bottom seals and it will only affect the bottom cylinder. <br /><br />When you eliminate the likely whatever is left, no matter how unlikely, MUST be the problem. (Sherlock Holmes, I think)<br /><br />Chris..............

dburr

Seaman

Thank Achris, you make total sense and Im cofident that its the problem as well. I'm not going to be able to get it done before vacation and theres no way Im not taking it with me, so hopefully its not getting that much water (motor runs fine) to do some damage in the next week while I use it. The following week I may try to get my friend whos good at this stuff to repair it for me. I dont have the best shop or tools, so instead of me trying to fix one problem and developing three more and alot of stress I think I will just have him do it. Im sure he wont charge me 80 an hour like the shop. Anyway guys thanks again. I will monitor it next week while I using it. Is there anyting I could put in the cylinder to displace the water or protect it for the next week.....