Not a sucker just a beginer (92 Stratos 20Ft F/S)

Seaman
Re: Im slowly learning that im a sucker

You are not a sucker just person that someone got one over on you. pick up your head and move on. When you finish the boat go the the sellers house and ask if he would like to buy it back. As soon as you see him look at it like, is this the boat I sold this sucker??? damn I could have done this. Then tell him you are just kidding about selling it because you know that he can not afford it anyway. And have fun on the water and be safe.
good luck you can do it.A lot of smart people to get help on this forum from just ask.

jonesg

Admiral

I was one of the fortunate few to find this forum before finding a boat,
and I still had to replace stringers, transom,60 gal tank, plumbing ,elec wiring, recore the deck etc.
Even decent condition is too old after 40 years, everything is shot.
But I have the boat I wanted now.:)

No worries Jason. You have plenty of fellow nutz :eek: here and plenty of us that have said, "how in the heck did I get into this mess?" :confused: I thought the same after my latest project.

http://itisjustmyimagination.blogspot.com/

Still working on it as well. :rolleyes: After I got her home and started digging into it, the pit in my stomach just turned and turned. I had a choice. Dump the thing, lick my wounds and feel sorry for myself, or put on my big boy pants and dig in. :eek: I figured this would perhaps be my La Mancha?as an impoverished dreamer gone insane from reading too many sea adventures and then deciding to build a vessel to take me into the setting horizon. I armed myself with rusty old tools retrieved from my barn and set out in search of adventure. I have never been one to back off a challenge or dream. Through the years I have built my own home from the ground up, remodeled a couple more, tore a '37 Chevy down to the ground and built it into a sleek street rod. I rebuilt two MGB?s ? a ?72 and a ?78. Wrote two novels and working on a third. And all while raising a family and working a demanding career. So believe me?you can do this. :D

With this little boat, my inspiration was renewed by simply going through this forum proving; there are some guys out there that are crazier than me.

Steve ;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Even decent condition is too old after 40 years, everything is shot.
But I have the boat I wanted now.:)

Ha! That's how I feel about mine.:p:)

jonesg

Admiral

No worries Jason. You have plenty of fellow nutz :eek: here and plenty of us that have said, "how in the heck did I get into this mess?" :confused: I thought the same after my latest project.

http://itisjustmyimagination.blogspot.com/

Still working on it as well. :rolleyes: After I got her home and started digging into it, the pit in my stomach just turned and turned. I had a choice. Dump the thing, lick my wounds and feel sorry for myself, or put on my big boy pants and dig in. :eek: I figured this would perhaps be my La Mancha?as an impoverished dreamer gone insane from reading too many sea adventures and then deciding to build a vessel to take me into the setting horizon. I armed myself with rusty old tools retrieved from my barn and set out in search of adventure. I have never been one to back off a challenge or dream. Through the years I have built my own home from the ground up, remodeled a couple more, tore a '37 Chevy down to the ground and built it into a sleek street rod. I rebuilt two MGB?s ? a ?72 and a ?78. Wrote two novels and working on a third. And all while raising a family and working a demanding career. So believe me?you can do this. :D

With this little boat, my inspiration was renewed by simply going through this forum proving; there are some guys out there that are crazier than me.

Steve ;)

Can you do something about cancer!

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the Things i Wish I would have thought about. Where am I gonna work on a 20 ft boat when my garage is only 18 ft. But seriously when i was looking at boats to begin with I was looking at 28ft boats haha. I got the front cusions done this week Ill try to get a picture up. I need to take out the dash and look into all the wiring. I keep putting it off because i know nothing of electronics so im reading somthing called boatowners guide to wiring which really isnt helping to much. X fingers that I will increase the price of the boat and not sink it ; )

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Not a sucker just a beginer

Interesting group of pics i found

My Boat
1078778359_5vCfv-M.jpg

What it used to look like
1078781796_oYEsk-M.jpg

My Boat
1078778469_4dF67-M.jpg

Original
1078781788_LY2hs-M.jpg

My Boat
1078777576_iyJBj-M.jpg

Original
1078781753_zhwW2-M.jpg

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Started on the side panels last night just pulling them apart.
1078779746_Fcnme-M.jpg

Center section has some rusted bolts that were holding wood in place. Ill have to get a jig blade an cut these off tonight.
1085861904_6zNHv-M.jpg

Wood was a bit rotted doubtful i can use it as a pattern, it doesnt seem it was protected in anyway.
1085862584_hADQx-M.jpg

But strange it is the original wood label shows local stamp for EUGENE, OR
1085862489_g3tRe-XL.jpg

Well thats all I finished last night, good news is the foam looks ok.

1085861974_KcX4J-XL.jpg

MBragg

Cadet

JasonBo,

I think your boat looks pretty good. It'll be doggone great when you have it finished... I get the idea most boats do not receive the best workmanship at the factory...

Rest of you guys, thanks for the info and the encouragement. Appreciate it.

I was feeling pretty bad about the whole thing but it'll all come together in the end...

All you vets out there - Hope you all had a very excellent Veteran's Day!

Thank you for your service... ooragh!

SSG B

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally was able to get to redoing the side panels this weekend.
I recut new forms out of 1/2 inch ply
After sealing and a coat of poly
1093547773_WZPFs-M.jpg

1093547695_AhJDz-M.jpg

I did however reuse the old foam.
1093532419_Ry4Vy-M.jpg

1093532481_7ERHG-M.jpg

Stretching the vinyl was actually easier then I thought
1093532503_d75Aw-M.jpg

Finished Product not to bad for my first time.
1093532548_DqYpk-M.jpg

Unfortunatly My boat wont fit in the garage so I must disassemble and bring it in. I think I am gonna wait till spring to reassemble.