Has anyone done or concidered using a Caddilac Northstar for a powerplant?:D

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Northstar repower?

Those work best in dune buggies!

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some years ago I had a ride in one of those smaller version caddys. I couldn't believe how much power it had.

I thought about it...but didn't do the work to investigate it further.

45Auto

Commander

Since it's a double-overhead cam V8, the cost of having 4 special marine-grind cams made would probably cost more than just buying a supercharged big-block ..........

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It might work just Fine if you can overcome 3 obstacles,....
1 is coupling it to the drive,....
2 is the software to run it,....
And 3rd,...
You need water cooled exhaust for it....

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since it's a double-overhead cam V8, the cost of having 4 special marine-grind cams made would probably cost more than just buying a supercharged big-block ..........

I see no need for "marine grind cams" Nor do i see a need for specialized electronics to run it. The Northstar factory computers are very flexible for tuning. :D So, that leaves coupling it to a drive. and water cooled exhaust. Any offers?:p

45Auto

Commander

justchange said:
I see no need for "marine grind cams"

Good for you! :)

(Why do I get the idea that you have no idea what "reversion" is .....)

justchange said:
For the challenge.

It'd be an interesting challenge if you like wasting money, and only slightly slower than a stock 5.7 MPI ......

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good for you! :)

(Why do I get the idea that you have no idea what "reversion" is .....)

It'd be an interesting challenge if you like wasting money, and only slightly slower than a stock 5.7 MPI ......

Not very familiar with the Northstars are ya. A 5.7 is a lead sled.

45Auto

Commander

Now how did I know you were going to post something like that?

Just so happens that there are dyno tests on Northstars and GM 5.7's.... :D

Notice how your hot-rod Northstar makes 300 HP max at 6000 RPM? And it NEVER has more than 295 lb-ft of torque? Can you say "a dog out of the hole?" :).

Or you could use the "high torque" Northstar which BARELY makes it to 300 lb-ft of torque, but only has a max of 275 HP.

Notice how the "lead sled" 5.7 makes 292 HP at less than 5000 RPM, and never has LESS than 300 lb-ft of torque? Where the boat will spend 99% of it's time, between 1500 and 4000 RPM, it has about 370 lb-ft of torque.

At 5000 RPM (considered the upper end of reliability for a stock outdrive) either one of the Northstars is only making about 20 HP LESS than the "lead sled". ;)

The numbers above are the reason anyone capable of doing a little research doesn't waste their time putting a Northstar in a boat. But if you want the challenge, it's your money!

350.jpg

northstar.jpg

Wakesilver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have a boat in mind? It'd be fun if you worked in the whole Caddy image: fins, leather, power everything...

Bondo

Staff member

The numbers above are the reason anyone capable of doing a little research doesn't waste their time putting a Northstar in a boat. But if you want the challenge, it's your money!

Ayuh,.... Muchless asking the Question in a forum Full of Motorhead Boat Owners......
But, Anyways,....
Take lots of pictures, then come back,+ tell Us all about the adventure,+ the lacking results....

Bondo

Staff member

and who said it'd be hooked to an outdrive?

Ayuh,... Ok,.... What'd ya have in mind,..?? Paddlewheels,..??

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Inboard or jet. Do I really have to explain something this simple?

Bondo

Staff member

Do I really have to explain something this simple?

Donno,.... You're the 1 who wishes to Reinvent the Wheel....

If you're coming here,+ asking questions,... You also have to set the parameters of the design....
They all have their particularities....

TilliamWe

Banned

JustChange, hooking it to a jet would be an even worse idea than an outdrive. Jet pumps are inherently ineffecient and require GOBS of power to run them fast. That Northstar would not be a good match at all. Real jet boats have 455 Olds or 460 Ford engines, so they can have some serious torque. And "serious torque" is not 300lb-ft. More like 400lb-ft +.
Next, due to the all aluminum construction, you'll have to develope a complete closed cooling system.
Remember Toyota made some boats a decade or so ago? They used their 4.7V8 DOHC. And while it did fine, I don't remember it setting any records. And the boats were EXPENSIVE.

But hey, if you wanna do it, good luck. You are going to get any support here, cause if it was a good idea, it would have already been done.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Donno,.... You're the 1 who wishes to Reinvent the Wheel....

If you're coming here,+ asking questions,... You also have to set the parameters of the design....
They all have their particularities....

I dunno. I proposed this as a hypothetical and seems it got out of control. [imagine that]-----lol

I'd think that it'd be something unique. Since I tend towards things that are not the average. [I've seen one boat online powered by a helicopter engine with a jet outdrive]

After all. Where would we be if someone hadn't tried anything different? Rowboats and birchbark canoes?

"At 5000 RPM (considered the upper end of reliability for a stock outdrive) either one of the Northstars is only making about 20 HP LESS than the "lead sled."

How do you explain the offshore boats relilability then.

I know, my mind works a bit slow at times.-----:rolleyes: