North Korea

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
man I cant believe no one has started this topic so I will. how long would it have taken GW and company to invade North Korea if the Koreans had oil? and should we negotiate with them? should we use the U.N.? remember this is not new. they have had this capeability 10 or 15 years. no matter the media acts like it happened yesterday they have had the technology a long time.

D

DJ

Re: North Korea

They didn't always have a working nuke, thanks Bill Clinton.<br /><br />We knew Saddam had WMD's but also knew he didn't have a nuke. Big difference. You tread lightly with a crazy man that has a nuke.<br /><br />Not to mention, North Korea is not a breeding grounds for Islamo facist terrorists of the likes that caused 9-11.<br /><br />Keep politics out of this, the threats are/were different. We went after Saddam as a plan to stabilize the Middle East and it is working. Saddams neighbors are nervous, for a very good reason.<br /><br />We're letting the Chinese work on the North Koreans. The North koreans DO NOT want to upset the Chinese. They are a threat right in their own back yard. As nuts as Kim Jong Il is, I don't think he wants to tangle with the Chinese.

NathanY

Commander

North Korea is only doing this for attention... Nothing more. When they start using their nukes on their own people, as Saddam used his bio-bombs on his people, then we need to attack.. I know I know, it sound ridiculous, but that what this is. North Korea has no intentions of ever using these weapons, they know that they have a few, but we have thousands. They just want international attention...

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't want to hijack this topic but these are related questions that make you wonder why some countries are targets and others aren't.<br /><br />1. Who knows anything about the Afghanistan oil line that can't be utilised because they have no sea port?<br /><br />2. Who knows that one of the most effective military tactics from platoon to army level is a pincer (or a hammer and anvil or whatever, where you get beside the enemy on both sides or in front of and behind him and squeeze?<br /><br />3. Who knows what's between Afghanistan and Iraq?<br /><br />4. If Iran was occupied or controlled by whoever controlled Afghanistan, would this solve the problem of no sea port for Afghanistan's oil?<br /><br />Do a Google search on the topic and you'll find plenty of information like this http://www.zmag.org/tanteroil.htm

D

DJ

I knew the answer to all four questions.<br /><br />And, I guess, if one is inclined to think in conspiratorial terms, you can trace everything back to the need for oil.<br /><br />Guess why? THE WORLD RUNS ON IT!<br /><br />I am still going to believe that there are people/leaders out there that think past their own wallet. Besides, what's wrong with spreading democracy? Then, EVERYONE profits, not just some tinhorn thug dictators.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Besides, what's wrong with spreading democracy? Then, EVERYONE profits, not just some tinhorn thug dictators.
Spreading true democracy is a great idea. I'd love to see it happen all across the planet.<br /><br />The problem is that my experience of it over the past 40 or so years is that regardless of whether it's the US or Russia or China or whoever else happens to be using freedom as their reason, they generally end up supporting tinhorn thug dictators. <br /><br />Just like the US, EEC and the rest of the West did with Saddam during his worst period. <br /><br />And Israel did with Hezbollah in its early days when Israel thought it could use Hezbollah. <br /><br />Not to mention places like Saudi Arabia which are an offence to every notion of democracy but which the West supports despite Saudi Arabia's relentless export of and financial support for radical Islamism. It's no coincidence that most of the 9/11 actors were Saudis.<br /><br />I don't remember the West doing anything about Pol Pot, except awarding some prizes to films made about the killing fields. The North Vietnamese were actually the ones who did something about it, but not because of any concern for human rights.<br /><br />I don't remember the West helping the Kurds when they rose up and were slaughtered by Saddam after Gulf War 1 in response to encouraging noises from the West.<br /><br />And so on and so on.<br /><br />Governments don't care. <br /><br />They're playing a different game on different principles (and I use the word 'principles' lightly) to you and me.<br /><br />30 years ago I wanted to fight in my army to defend the people of East Timor from their invasion by Indonesia. The only reason I didn't was that my government at the time had clearly sanctioned the invasion to preserve "stability" in the region. <br /><br />A few years ago we were at risk of war with Indnonesia because my government at the time clumsily tried to, and ultimately did by military force, achieve liberation from Indonesia for the East Timorese. This would not have happened if my government 30 years ago had been committed to the same principles of freedom for the East Timorese.<br /><br />Governments suck.<br /><br />If ordinary people's sentiments were reflected in government actions the world would be a better place.

D

DJ

Quotes by Tinkerer;<br /><br />
whether it's the US or Russia or China or whoever else happens to be using freedom as their reason, they generally end up supporting tinhorn thug dictators.
I don't think Russia and China ever had "freedom" on their minds as a reason for their actions. The US, and others, tried to get things done as expeditiously as possible. The American people have had little stomach for these things. 9-11 changed EVERYTHING.<br /><br />
I don't remember the West helping the Kurds when they rose up and were slaughtered by Saddam after Gulf War 1 in response to encouraging noises from the West.<br />
Bill Clinton was President-enough said.<br /><br />
Just like the US, EEC and the rest of the West did with Saddam during his worst period. <br />
Again, Bill Clinton was president.<br /><br />
I don't remember the West doing anything about Pol Pot, except awarding some prizes to films made about the killing fields. The North Vietnamese were actually the ones who did something about it, but not because of any concern for human rights.<br />
The American people had no stomach for ANY conflict in that region, after the Viet Nam War. Still don't.<br /><br />
If ordinary people's sentiments were reflected in government actions the world would be a better place.
We're allot closer to that as a democracy than a dictatorship.<br /><br />People make bad decisions, and guess what? People run governments.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

tinkerer<br /> yep I am with you. the russians tried to take afghanistan for 10 years for the oil. the Bush ranch has trained pipeline workers for sometime to construct the trans-afghan pipeline.that will unlock vast oil reserves of other "stani" areas.<br /> we took Iraq as a kneejerk reaction, cause we had tohit someone cause they bloodied our nose. middle east stabilization and democracy was added some years later. wont work but its a great dream. that area has been conqured and left by almost every known civilization. all left :) :) .<br /> the US has a poor history with foriegn policy. seems its all been driven by profits. we supported and kept saddam in power for many years. we caused the slaughter of the Kurds by our withdrawel after a promise of help. wehave suppoerted and held in power the house of Saud for over 60 years. thats why we wont capture old bennie boy ben laden. cause he is a royal prince and to have the infidels capture him will create a war with the sauds, they wont have a choice. wedont want it,they dont want it but it would happen. if we kill him in battle it will be different.<br /> I am thinking the North Koreans are trying to blackmail the US into a food for arms type deal. The chinese have supported North Korea for almost 100 years. the chinese still dont like us much due to our actions during and just after WWII.<br /> but they have had nukes for many years and moderate range delivery systems. what they did not create they got from China.<br /> most americans cant remember what was for dinner last night anymore. much less any history so they get duped again and again. the brits created our israli problem in 45-48. I have asked on this board many times how Isreal became a state and never got a response.<br /> we created Al queda. we trained bin laden and his top men. we armed them for years.<br /> I watched Codi Rice bump her Gums, she either lies or doesnt remember any history. what can I say.

KRS

Banned

Quote: If ordinary people's sentiments were reflected in government actions the world would be a better place.<br /><br />The problem is... ordinary people are as corrupt as ever, their values ARE being reflected in the world's governments... and therein lies the problem.<br /><br />Just on this little webpage, discussing one tiny segment of a vast problem, we can't get five people to agree. SO how do you suggest to make entire countries and their subsequent government agree and comply and trust and ....<br /><br />The US is not perfect, but I believe that our intentions, for the most part, have been good.<br /><br />The "Bush Ranch".... okay.<br /><br />Further facts are posed that the US tried to negotiate and befriend foreign dictators before we ever engaged in conflict. Well, isn't diplomacy before war an idea encouraged by all?<br /><br />As far as doing a websearch to find "factual data", good luck. There are millions of complete wackos out there posting lies and even a few half-truths. Taking ANY of their words as a basis to form an opinion is poison to your mind. Even taking two senators, one R and one D from the same committee overseeing our foreign affairs... and you get two different sets of "facts".<br /><br />I am a firm believer that we never know "ALL" our goverment and military, or clandestine military does on foreign soil. Do you KNOW that we have not participated in such things as Pol Pots capture? As for your suggestion that no one cared about the slaughter of Cambodian citizens, I don't know where you were when this was going on, but I remember a tremendous outpouring of support and aid to the victims who lived. Is it our goverment's fault someone made a movie to memorialize their senseless death? I think not. <br /><br />I can think of eight straight years that many errors occured, when a blind eye was turned, when secrets escaped without punishment, when corrupt money drove our foreign policy.... Yes, I am writing of the Clinton Presidency, what a debacle. As I said previously, no one is perfect, but his time in office was scarred with mistakes.

D

DJ

I believe about as much as I read on the internet as I do what I see on TV.<br /><br />For all the oil haters on this board, it seems allot of them make their living around or with machines that use it.<br /><br />Be careful what you wish for.<br /><br />Why is Isreal a state? Because they have just as much right to exist as anyone else. Plus, if you believe in Scripture, which most don't, it was foretold.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DJ <br /> thats not much of an answer. can you be more specific on how the state was created and mabye when ?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Rod bolt that state was created when GOD gave the land to the hebrews(Jews) :)

D

DJ

1948 by the UN. In a nutshell, the expelled Jews, from Europe, had nowhere to go. They didn't want to live under Stalin-smart. The Arabs had shut them out.<br /><br />As for the Palistinians, they were offered a state in 1993 at the Camp David summit. Yasir Arafat was offered 95% of his demands, but he refused being that he was more interested in killing, maiming and plundering than doing something good for his people.<br /><br />If Clinton would have had any cojones, he would have leaned across the negotiation table and said: Listen you low life slug, if you don't take this, we'll make your life hell on earth.<br /><br />Below is a link to a brief history of Isreals creation and why. It seems to be quite factual, and lines up with my studies, for an internet piece.<br /><br /> http://www.settingtheworldtorights.com/node/86

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DJ<br /> that is a pretty good article. even some of the posts behind it. it goes along with most the facts I have resaerched over the years.<br /> it is also funny that it makes no mention of all the US arms and money given yet mentions britains contributions numerous times. but that is history, most times its written by the winner.<br /> and I agree<br /> Arafat was not in it for peace nor settlments. he thrived on the power he retained and the only way to retain it was to continue the violence. father time took him out. I hope now the region can stabilize somewhat and the Israilies will give back some of the lands and human rights they took.

Tinkerer

rodbolt<br /><br />Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but like most of the current problems in the Middle East the Israel situation goes back to the WWI period, notably the Balfour Declaration<br /><br /> http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/mideast/balfour.htm <br /><br />It's mentioned briefly in an earlier section of DJ's last link.<br /> http://www.settingtheworldtorights.com/node/73 <br /><br />As that link mentions the Jews could have settled in Uganda instead of Israel and might well have stayed there, which would have produced a very different result to what we have now.<br /><br />There's various views about why the Balfour Declaration was done and what was intended but for a short detailed treatment this one is as good as any http://www.mideastweb.org/mebalfour.htm <br /><br />After WWI the British, Americans and French carved up the Middle East, including Iraq and Iran, for reasons that had little to do with oil, which wasn't the issue then that it's been for the past 40 years. In part they did it because they could, after the collapse of the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire following WWI left much of the Middle East ripe for the picking with no national governments or armies to resist the West.<br /><br />It's pointless speculating on what might have happened if the West hadn't continually interfered in the Middle East for the past century, but one thing is for sure: There wouldn't be anything like the same resentment towards the West that there is now from people there who have suffered the consequences of that interference.<br /><br />What we have now is pretty much a case of: As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok I asked a freind about when and how Israel became without a state and when they regained their state heres what he wrote.....you can take it or leave it......God promised it (The land that is Israel) to Abraham, about 500 years later, God lead Israel out of bondage in Egypt with Moses. they wandered in the desert for 40 years, and after Moses died, Joshua lead Israel across the Jordan, conquered 7 nations and took over.<br /><br />the Romans destroyed the temple around 70 AD and scattered the Jews.<br /><br />they remained without a nation until 1949, following WWII when the Nation of Israel was born and the Jews began to return home.<br /><br />the islamic Al Aqsa mosque, also known as the dome of the rock, in Jerusalem is built on top of the ruins of Solomans Temple. <br /><br />That short answer covers a whole lot of time so Im sure there are many details missing :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I say hit'em in the pocket book!<br /><br />A trade embargo.<br /><br /> ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

barlowe<br /> they already have nothing. an embargo wont accomplish much. but I bet they will tie the negotiation with food. we ship a tremendous amout there already and this is not the first time they have rattled sabers for more food.<br /> for those that have never been to third world areas its difficult to imagine. I could describe it all day long but if you have never seen it its so unreal to be beyond belief.